Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery time from foramintomy

Hi Spine Health friends, 
I had my foramintomy( as close as I can spell it) on Feb 18th on 2 different levels on one side L4-L5 and one on the other side L5-S1 and the pain is still incredible even to this date. I have me follow up on the 18th of March and will see what my Nerosurgeon says, I saw my pain mgmt Doctor yesterday and once again, he increased my Morphine ER back up to 30mg twice daily, Oxycodone 15mg twice daily and Lyrica 150mg 3 times a day. He again recommended that I consider a Nerostimulator.
For history, in the past three years I have had 7 surgeries and those surgeries have ranged from microdisctomy,foraminotimys, fusion at L5-S1( and now I find out from the MRI done in 1/16 that the fusion is only partially taken and this was down in May,2014). My Nerosurgeon said I do have evidence of archnoidits. I have had countless epidurals, RFA's and the Nerosurgeon says that I will never be pain free and will more then likely keep going done the road of having surgeries the rest of my life.  I had a nerostimulator before and one of the leads broke 6 months after surgery and would literally shock the hell out of you when you would turn or bend so he suggested to turn it off. I had it removed on July, 2014 because they thought I had cauda-equina and had to do a MRI and this Nerostimulatior is not MRI friendly. My pain mgmt doctor suggested the Nevro system and has said its better as it doesn't give you the parathesis feeling. My Nerosurgeons team also recommended a drug called Maraniol? (which I hear is a cannabis). When I asked my Pain mgmt Doctor about it and his thoughts, he told me I would have to be referred to another pain mgmt Doctor as his clinic has not gone down that road of approving it yet. He also suggested that I am a good candidate for medical marajunia.
My questions to my friends are:

Hong long should the pain last before healing from the Foramintomy ,I know everyone is different in healing but on average, when did you see results.
is a nerostimulator still the way to go? I'm extremely nervous about it because what happened last time. 
Thoughts on Marinol or medical cannubus? I have never touched a illicit drug in my life( probably because the Catholic education I was brought up in said I would die if I took that stuff). I know in the state of Minnesota, they just approved it for chronic pain mgmt and I believe it will be available soon but it is illegal at the federal level.
What does it look like for employment? Cunnemtly, I'm out of work and using Cobra for insurance but I believe most employers would not hire you or would let you go if they found traces of medical cannubus in your system. I don't drive a vehicle like a truck for work and I have a desk job as an Electrical Engineer. 

My goal would is to be pain free, as everyone on this forum wants. And not take medication that just fogs up my life, 
if I have put this in the wrong forum area, I apologize as I wasn't sure where to go with it

Paul

advertisement