Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

10 wks post 2 level acdf..inflammation steroids and more..

Ok after 3 wks of pt that made everything worse, Dr halted that and ordered xray, new mri and round of medrol and thinks something has happened like the disc herniation again and on the nerve because I feel pain and numbness just like presurgery. He said that if steroids made it feel better then that would tell him something. . He neglected to say what that something was though. Anyone know what that means? After almost a full days dosage, I'm already feeling less discomfort and numbness is cut in half. I do not want to have to go back in for surgery again! I am terrified! I have been uber good to myself and have done nothing to injure my areas and followed every instruction to a T so other than the pt which has been horrible pain, that is the only thing that could've reinjured me. 
advertisement

Comments

• Sue 1965SSue 1965 United KingdomPosts: 115
    Oh Julie-sorry to hear you are in so much pain..Perhaps the physio has done something it shouldn't have.I'm not too bad now-get pain when I move my head and shoulders in a certain way-think thats from the op though and will settle-well hopefully! I start back at work on Monday on a phased return-bit nervous about it in case it sets my arm off again.Keep in touch Julie and take care-fingers crossed for you.Sue
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 307
    Good luck on Monday for your 2nd attempt and I hope this one is better! I feel so much better today after a whole day of steroids that it is unbelievable!! I almost feel normal. I feel a twinge behind my shoulder blade every now and then and my hand is slightly numb but tolerable. My neck when I turn to the right is still tender but that's surgical. All of this is what I should've been feeling like and not this continued hades I've been in. Now. ..NOW I feel like a recovering person. Problem is there is a reason for the inflammation and that's the scary part. Count yourself lucky Sue! I'll be thinking of you Monday and looking for an update on how it went. Hugs!
  • advertisement
    Thats such good news Julie-I still get the shoulder blade pain and my neck turning to the left hurts-but hopefully we are now both-getting there! Sue
    Mri came back normal...YAY! So I guess no more surgery needed right now but no clue what's next. Nurse said he may want to put me on something like neurontin which I will not take bc of side effects. He better have a better plan and answer for why steroids are helping and what to do after it wears off and this comes back. 
    How was work???
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    Hello joowee......
    I am just curious about the neurotin that you do not want to take because of side effects.
    Wondering if you had taken it in the past and had problems?

Also, want to say, so glad your MRI came back normal!.....and that you are not looking at surgery right now!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Hi Julie! Great news re the mri-work is fine-I'm only doing 3 hours or so a day for first week anyway-I have some neck-shoulder pain but I can manage! Sue 
    Dr told me I could start back to work on Monday and it will be half days for 2 wks. I'm ready but not ready if that makes any warped kind of sense. I finally feel like I have no reason to be at home where before I was so awash with agony, work was not in my head and could only think of how to get better and worry about why I was not better etc. I'm more uncomfortable and haND more numb again today than since I started the steroids but I think it's because I did too much the last 2 days so dr said if it stays the same or better we are good to go for Monday but to let him know if it flares again through the week and it will be a no go. Cross fingers because this getting back into normal life is feeling well ...normal and I love it.
    Aww good luck Julie-I have to say be careful though-I am doing 3 hours a day-every day-and although Im ok at work-I did a lot of housework yesterday on top of work-lulled into a false sense of security-I had horrendous arm and shoulder pain last night-I was really worried it wouldn't die down-it has a bit but made me realise that I'm not as fully there as I thought I was! Take care Sue
    It's all back and I could cuss like a sailor! I made another post about it seeking advise from anyone to help figure this out. 
advertisement