Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

18 year old with chronic lower back pain, please help

Hi all, I have come here to look for further help or suggestions anyone might have.

I injured my lower back almost 2 years ago in April of 2014 whilst kicking pads, training for a Muay Thai fight. After three rounds of hard pads I tried to put my weight on my leg but my lower left back felt as if it gave way or was jarred, and I couldn't walk properly for the next half an hour-hour. My trainers and I thought nothing of it at the time, believing it to be a minor strain. So I stupidly went ahead and fought. Didn't hurt it further during the fight, but it had still been sore since a month before the fight when I first injured it. I made the mistake of leaving it Til over a year later In august 2015 to actually get an mri done to see if it was something serious, as the pain hadn't gone away and barely improved. The Mri ruled out any serious disc problems, however it did show one of the lower discs to be slightly degenerative. After taking a long break from training and fighting (haven't fought or trained Since that fight) and focusing on gym and weight training to improve strength, I decided to see a sports physio after getting my MRI results back, who after a few sessions believed I had SIJ dysfunction, and gave me a series of core strength exercises and stretches to help. I was consistent and stuck to a strict routine, religiously doing the exercises every day. 7 months later, the exercises feel as if they have had little effect if any at all, as I still get the pain and crunching/popping from my lower left back region. I have since stopped seeing the physio and seen an orthopaedic surgeon, who seemed to think the pain was stemming from the degenerative disc, but also said a lot of people have it and don't get any pain at all. However he was concerned at my having it at such a young age. Overall he wasn't much help, prescribed me some anti inflammatories and said to deal with it as best I could. I have also had blood tests which ruled out any kind of arthritis, and also had acupuncture done a few times which has by far been the most beneficial, with the pain completely gone after a session. However it does come back in a few days, but I feel as though my condition has improved. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm not sure whether a chiro would help as I've been told to steer clear of them. Am also considering seeing an osteopath. I've been taking magnesium powder which seems to help slightly too. I'm terribly worried I won't be able to return to the sport I love, and the fact that the injury hasn't healed in almost 2 years considering me being only 16 at the time of the injury is very worrying. It is also affecting me at work as I decided to do an apprenticeship, which requires a lot of physical work. Please, someone help me, I feel trapped by it and as though nothing can help me 
advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 655
    Sorry, trying to understand something here....You're trained in Muay Thai and your sports therapist gave you core exercises?? Something doesn't add up with that one. Seems to me Muay Thai is all about the core, and that after 7 months of exercises with no results then it might be a safe assumption that the exercises were possibly just encouraging whatever was wrong to stay wrong:(. Same would hold true for weight training. Were the exercises focused on your core front, core back or both?

If surgery/pain management/etc is something you're set on not doing you should continue to seek advice from within and outside of the medical professions. It seems like you're not getting anywhere from within the medical field (surgeons, physio, drugs, I guess acupuncture is a form of drugs) though. Keep the faith. Never stop asking questions. Be the champion of your own healing. You'll find what's right for you!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • ajp1aajp1 AustraliaPosts: 4
    Hi there. My bad for accidentally posting 2 discussions, I was unsure how to delete one and wanted to edit it, so I accidentally must have posted 2. 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    You are fine! No problem!
    Better to be Welcomed twice than not at all.  :)

Take care!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

MarWin said:

Sorry, trying to understand something here....You're trained in Muay Thai and your sports therapist gave you core exercises?? Something doesn't add up with that one. Seems to me Muay Thai is all about the core, and that after 7 months of exercises with no results then it might be a safe assumption that the exercises were possibly just encouraging whatever was wrong to stay wrong:(. Same would hold true for weight training. Were the exercises focused on your core front, core back or both?

If surgery/pain management/etc is something you're set on not doing you should continue to seek advice from within and outside of the medical professions. It seems like you're not getting anywhere from within the medical field (surgeons, physio, drugs, I guess acupuncture is a form of drugs) though. Keep the faith. Never stop asking questions. Be the champion of your own healing. You'll find what's right for you!

thanks for your response. Yeah the exercises were focusing on both my abdominal and lower back muscles. I could go as far as to say they made a slight improvement , but nothing significant. As far as surgery goes, that isn't an option as there is nothing wrong to be operated on (no serious problems showed up on MRI). My main concern is that it still hasn't healed up after almost 2 years, when it technically should have due to my youth and supposed ability to heal better than say, someone in their 40s or older. I may try a local osteopath just for trial and error, after all that is all I can do at this stage. By outside of the medical profession, what exactly do you mean? 
  • advertisement
  • It sounds unusual that the MRI showed no serious pain but that you are still having pain. You have been doing core strengthening but have you been doing stretches for back and hamstrings regularly? 
    Yes I do hamstring stretches, glute stretches, hip flexor stretches etc. every day. 
advertisement