Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

One of my worst fears

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
I've been a member for quite a few years now. But may be new to most of you. I've been suffering chronic pain for many years. But my worst fear was for anyone I know and especially a loved one to have to go through any spine problems.
My daughter had issues with cervical problems. Now more recently, lumbar. A bulging disc at L4, and degenerative disk desease like the old man! Luckily she went to a Dr. I know of and respect. He Tries to take the least invasive techniques . For now he's tried a mederol pack that was successful. So  she had a epidural a few days ago. And is having good results with that. She travels quite a bit with her job. So there is luggage that was old and out dated, HUGE! I know it was causing problems, so I got her a new set. 
My son also has some back problems.
They've seen what Dad has gone through. And don't want to make the same mistakes that I have. I'll help them any and every way I can. I really think there are some genetic traits passed down from me!
j.howie

Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 696
    What "mistakes" did you make that you don't want them to make? 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,430
    For the most part, the mistakes you made are the mistakes you alone have to pay for.  I know, I am in the same boat.  Because I didnt listen to all the rules and regulations regarding post surgery, I paid by have a number of follow on surgeries.

What are children are going through is from genetics and family environment.  Both my son and daughter have back problems and arthritis. More so my daughter who started in when she was 19 , now 36 she has a L4/L5 problem, surgery on both of her knees ( meniscus )   Some of that can be contributed to the aggressive way she played sports, but some I do believei is genetic.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    James

I am the child of a spiney, so I can tell you that while I point to my mother and her mother before her, I don't blame them.  I know that they suffered like me, and actually I probably went for surgery quicker because of them.  So I did learn from them - not making a statement about whether or not surgery is the best option, but I saw the improvements in my mother, and the lasting impact of not having surgery in my grandmother.

More important is that I blame my parents for my personality traits.  Those were things that they could have controlled and I work every day to improve in myself.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

Bruce,  for a moment, taking a side step away from Spinal problems.  There is no question about the impacts our parents had on our personalities.  Be it that we are strong, totally responsibly, not responsibility, etc are traits that are set in our early years.  They become so difficult to change.  So many times, I am so mad at how my parents taught me, but at the same time, I realize that even when that was bad, I had it within myself to change that.  Its not easy.  I totally understand were you are coming from.
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 696
    I  have to respectfully disagree with the argument that spinal conditions are a result of family history. Neither of my parents, nor neither of their parents had back issues. None of my siblings had back issues. Some of my nieces/nephews had them, but they each played sports year round from an early age. I was the only one in my family (parents/siblings/grandparents) that ever worked out lifting weights. I'm a believer in that, aside from trauma, that back conditions are a result of our habits and that our bodies respond to the environment we put them in. Wanna sit at a desk all day and slouch - then your body will adjust accordingly. Want to be a lineman in the NFL or a catcher in the MLB, and crouch for hours - then your body will adjust accordingly. That's my view anyway:) 
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 03/10/2016 - 1:42 PM
    It a proven fact some spine issues are genetics, along with trama and what we put our bodies through.  But genetics in some spine issues are a proven fact that cannot really be questioned? Just like any genetic characteristic it can cause you to develop the same thing in many cases as family members.  Cancer is no different and a multitude of diseases or problems , does it mean you will get cancer , no , does it mean you could simply from genetics, possibly, does it mean you have to be watching more , absolutely because it's a proven link.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
    MarWin, I understand where you are coming from, but just as Aaron has pointed out there are some definite relationships regarding genetics.   I know for sure first hand that Arthritis is easily a genetic condition.
    Spinal problems are harder to define.  I've read and re-read Aaron's comments, they are so very true.

In my own situation, I had spinal problems since I was 15.  First surgery in 1978. My father, did not start developing spinal problems until he was 65 in the late 1970's.  Then he had 3 quick (and to me unnecessary spinal surgeries).   So, did I get it from him or did he get it from me? Sort of puts a twist on genetics.

Now, if my family had all sorts of spinal problems and from day one, I watched everything I did, did not play aggressive sports, watched how to bend, twist and turn, watched my diet, exercised, etc.  Did EVERYTHING that a person is suppose to do to avoid spinal problems.   Would I have gotten spinal problems as the years went by?

This is something for a deep discussion.  Marwin.... would you be interested in started a new discussion about this topic?
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 150
    My mother had spinal cord meningiomas and starting when I was in my teens she had surgery before MRI's even were around. She passed away about 6 years ago this coming week and struggled with chronic pain related to her surgeries. I was supposed to have surgery this coming week the day before the anniversary of her death and got cold feet. Even though I know my issues are different, herniated disc, I think about how her life was forever changed by her spine surgery. My dad also has spinal stenosis and will not even go to a Dr for this after watching my mom struggle for so many years and his sister died after back surgery for the same issues.
    scary stuff thinking about our own issues and how our families are affected by this as well!
    i know it has impacted my decision to wait it out this time for surgery.
    liz
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    MarWin,  I made so many mistakes concerning my back I hardly know where to start. But for starters I always lifted things that were too heavy just because I could. And I have a long torso with muscles to strong for my frame. I was too proud to ask for help. And for the most part I could do it faster myself than go get help and the help usually would screw it up anyway. And I'm way to stubborn, I didn't listen to my Drs.. Although the first one did give me bad advice. And I could go on and on. I had back problems as a young man. And because I was too stubborn and didn't listen. It cost me 8 surgeries after trying every possible option available. my life became an absolute living hell buy the time I was 52. And my life was pretty miserable many years before that.
    As for genetics concerning my back and my arthritis, that would be a very long subject. The back portion is pretty much all on me! And I don't want my kids or grand kids to go what I've gone through. And after seeing how I suffer they don't want any part of it either! I'll leave it at that for now.
    j.howie (Jim)  
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

MarWin

I don't think anyone said that all spine issues are hereditary.  For me, my family problem is arthritis not an accident, sports or other activity.  With that said, mine probably wouldn't have progressed quite as quickly if it weren't for my work travel carrying a laptop bag, which used to be heavy.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

advertisement