Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post Op Foraminotomy (Day 12)

12 days ago I had a foraminotomy of my L4/L5/S1 for relief of severe nerve pain shooting down my right leg. Epidurals didn't help, so surgery was the next step. My doctor initially wanted to do a fusion, which of course is a more extensive procedure. Due to an existing heart condition, I opted for the doctor's "Plan B", the foraminotomy. He said that the foraminotomy would most likely only provide temporary relief, but that there was also a chance that it would provide long-term relief. Well, around day 6 post-op, I began feeling the shooting nerve pain down my right leg again. Every day it seems to get worse; it's almost back to the level of pain I had prior to surgery. Pain so severe that walking, sitting, even laying down causes severe, debilitating pain shooting down my right leg. Has anyone else experienced no pain relief from a foraminotomy? I know it's only been just short of 2 weeks, but the nerve pain is so severe that it seems as if I had the surgery for naught.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello,backn4th!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Hey Ramon

The forminotomy likely relieved the crushing pressure on your nerves but it DIDN'T heal your nerves.  Nerve healing is a VERY slow process that will take many weeks or even months... and in the mean time your nerves are still firing and inflammed from both the surgery and the pre-op crushing/damaging that took place due to your messed up back. To be on the safe side you should probably call your doctor and/or go and see him and get an MRI... this will let your doctor know what's going on with your back.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement

• hvills said:

Hey Ramon

The forminotomy likely relieved the crushing pressure on your nerves but it DIDN'T heal your nerves.  Nerve healing is a VERY slow process that will take many weeks or even months... and in the mean time your nerves are still firing and inflammed from both the surgery and the pre-op crushing/damaging that took place due to your messed up back. To be on the safe side you should probably call your doctor and/or go and see him and get an MRI... this will let your doctor know what's going on with your back.

Thanks hvills, that's very encouraging information. I have an appointment with the surgeon next week to have my stitches removed. I will ask him then.
  • DarrinbDDarrinb Posts: 12
    edited 03/19/2016 - 1:30 PM
    I had the same surgery. I had pain going down my left leg. I can tell you that 12 days is not enough time to see the difference. I was told by my doctor that it can take up to a year. 

I hope you get well soon
  • Well, I saw my doctor and he suspected that I possibly had a disc re-herniation. An MRI revealed the horrible reality: my L4/L5 and L5/S1 were still herniated and severely pressing into the nerve. In fact, it appears to be worse than prior to the foraminotomy.
  • advertisement
advertisement