Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post Surgery Sitting and Not

8 days post op ALIF/PSIF T10-S1.  They say sit no more than 40", but what then? How long can one stand? Admittedly by end of day I'm racked with sitting/muscle pain from brace restrictiveness, but what alternatives are there to sitting? Fatigue easily when standing more than 10min, and what can be done standing? Walking with a walker is limited to lack of flat space outdoors, small house. Wondering if anyone has tried the old ergonomic forward knee resting chairs to relieve pain on lower back. All suggestions welcome.
advertisement

Comments

• I can relate!   I have "doughnut"   cushions that help out when you're sitting, although sitting for 40 min just ain't happening for me!   I have a small house,  too,  and I've just been doing laps around here as much as I can!  Boring,  but until the weather improves,  it is what it is. 
    I was also curious about the chairs you mentioned,  as I am pretty much in that position when I DO sit down due to awful tail bone pain.   I would ask your doc/Pm provider what they think.   If you don't mind,  would you let us know what they have to say?   
    I've been doing infrared light treatments on my back,  and the heat feels GREAT on my back,  plus it's relaxing.  I asked my doctor if it was ok first. 
    Finding a comfortable position sure is a challenge,  but like you,  I also found it challenging to find the right balance for me between aactivity and rest.   Listen to your body--it'll definitely let you know when enough is enough.   Good luck with your recovery! 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • cspencer13ccspencer13 CaliforniaPosts: 37
    I'm 3 weeks out having an L5 S1 fusion. My doc says no sitting for more than 30 minutes at a time. So I honestly spend a lot of time lying down. I would say err on the side of taking it easy and letting yourself heal! Good luck!
    Cyndi
    39y.o. mom of 4
    3/2/16 - L5/S1 fusion after a decade of trying everything else
    2015 - developed Occipical Neuralgia and bulges at C4/5 and C5/6
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    WOW... you fused a LOT of levels... that is a MAJOR surgery.  I'm surprised you actually WANT to sit more than 40 minutes at only 8 days post op from that big of a surgery.  Laying down is really the only choice at this point...   
    Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Path, that is a big physical change to your back. I am having some struggles with the sitting and then standing as well. I had surgery on 2/18 and went back to work light duty and either sit or up walking for 8 hrs and still having some of the same leg pain around the knee area. You should really take it slow and not rush things and I would really try not to sit for very long like your doc says. It's tough just laying all the time but the sitting must really aggravate things a lot since they limit our sitting. I spend as much time as I can laying on ice after doing lots of sitting and it seems to help me. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Good luck! 
    TLIF L4-S1 2007                                         TLIF L3-L4 2008                                          TLIF L2-L3 2016
advertisement