Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bowel movement issues

I am looking for feedbacks from people who had bowel movement issues

I have had saddle area numbness that started in late December and spread to my buttocks. In last six days it felt like stomach spasms and then bowel movement issues. My issue is that I do not feel the urge. I can go and try and bowel movements happen. Is that how the problem happens. Its not incontinence? Or would it turn into that?

Surgeon : initially he said it cannot come from your cervical, lets see the lumber MRI. Lumber MRI (9 months old) has some issues, not anything glaring. So not real cause.

PA of the Surgeon : it cannot be cervical. We have not see these issues from cervical. Go to ER and check other things.

ER doc: Checked everything and ordered new MRI of lumber. He just said MRI is negative (I know it has some issues even from 9 month old MRI). Check back with PCP or surgeons.

Surgeon  is not happy with my progression on bowel movement. He now says lets do an ACDF. If the problem continues we can do epidural shots on the lumber.

So its weird that my symptom does not exactly match a typical case. And I might end up doing a surgery. Any patient experience would be appreciated. (Specially lower body symptoms with Cervical issues, lumber MRI looking not that bad).
MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
advertisement

Comments

• My symptoms are similar to yours,  and doctor ordered a pelvic MRI in addition to the lumbar spine MRI.   Maybe find out if you should have a pelvic MRI?
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • No_No_No_YesNNo_No_No_Yes Sacramento Ca.Posts: 24
    Hi Sukhre, I don't think I have read the thread with your back story yet, are you on any strong pain meds? These will cause your bowels to stop, although I would think your surgeon would have thought of that. Usually loss of bowel control is just that, you go without control, and it is usually accompanied by loss of bladder control and or multiple other things. I have multiple cervical discs encroaching on my spinal chord and have had for at least 4 years, so far aside from strength loss and shoulder/hand/arm pain I haven't had any what I would consider to be "dire" deficits. I would be looking for other possible causes. Just my opinion of course.
  • advertisement
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 205
    Kimmy your comment made a bit of sense. 10-12 years back I once sat on a bus they had a metal that hit my pelvic area real bad. That was the worst possible pain I have ever had. Doctors ruled out fracture because I was able to walk. I do not think doctors will agree to do MRI of pelvic area if I request. 

No_no_no_Yes
    I am not any pain med. I do not have really bad pain. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Sukhre

I haven't had bowel problems, but I have had cervical stenosis.  My surgeon also said that pains I was having in my hip and feet couldn't by cervical - but then I asked what if something as pressing on my spine?  To which he muttered something like well maybe.

Surgeons might not be thinking about diagnosing the cause.  My PCP referred me to a sports medicine doctor because their job is to diagnose, not so much to fix, problems.  It took a month or so, but he finally said the problem was my neck, which lead to an MRI, and a diagnosis of stenosis.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Mention the pelvic injury to your doctor! !  The reason I mentioned it is because my doctors are concerned that I might have cauda equina syndrome,  and it is absolutely NOTHING to fool around with!   My docs said just the lumbar films would probably look normal,  but the pelvic MRI would tell a more complete story.   I'm not trying to scare you,  but if you look it up,  cauda equina syndrome can do permanent damage.   Be a good,  strong advocate for yourself.  
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • PS: Your pudendal nerve can cause similar issues,  and as Bruce mentioned,  stenosis can,  too.   Perhaps if you approach it from a "Do you think because I may have damage to my pelvic area due to accident,  that my issues might be stemming from there instead of my spine? " , the doctor won't feel as though you are one of THOSE patients who have an internet medical license. Lol. ..
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • No_No_No_YesNNo_No_No_Yes Sacramento Ca.Posts: 24
    LOL yeah the last thing you want to mention is the internet.  Last time I did that my Dr glared at me like he wanted to tear my head off and roll it down the street.
    Bruce: did your hip pain go away after the surgery?

Kimmy and Bruce: Yes, it might come from the Cspine (specially I havemyelomalacia, flattening of the spinal cord). I wish I did my surgery 7-8 months back when most surgeons said I should get surgery. 

I am somewhat confused on my most recent MRI results (unfortunately they would not give me a formal report until late next week). I will need to follow up and understand.

No_No_No_Yes: I do not think surgeons appreciate medical terms from patients.. I have been personally helped by internet, but I would probably not mention that. 

What I figured out there are many reasons for my symptoms, if more than one surgeon thinks its coming from my neck, I should probably get the surgery.

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Yes, my hip pain was gone as soon ask woke from surgery.  My older symptoms took a couple of months.  Hip pain started a few months before surgery, older was a few years.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

Bruce you had stenosis? no mention of myelomalacia on MRI?
advertisement