Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 wks post L5 S1 fusion, weird sciatica???

Anyone else with an L5 S1 fusion?

I am 3 weeks post op and I think things are going ok, but the past few days I've had this weird, sharp pain that started in just my glute but over a few days has radiated down my leg. It's just when I first stand up, it's a really strong, deep, sharp pain and lasts for about a minute and then goes away. It's on my left side, which actually wasn't my "problem" side prior to surgery.  

I've submitted a question to my docs office but I'd love to hear from anyone else with similar experiences. My thoughts are that I'm HOPING it's just a weird part of healing and it'll go away once I'm all healed up????

Thanks.
Cyndi
39y.o. mom of 4
3/2/16 - L5/S1 fusion after a decade of trying everything else
2015 - developed Occipical Neuralgia and bulges at C4/5 and C5/6
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Spencer

Most likely it's just your nerves trying to heal...  3 weeks post op is early days for lumbar fusion recovery and you are going to go though lots of ups and downs with your nerves giving you various before unknown pains as they try and figure out the new normal.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • cspencer13ccspencer13 CaliforniaPosts: 37
    Thank you. Thats kind of what I thought, I appreciate the reassurance. :)
    Cyndi
    39y.o. mom of 4
  • advertisement
  • I had some of the same issues a couple weeks ago and called my doc. He said after surgery it is possible to have different nerve symptoms after they have been working in there. He said it may take 6 months for everything to settle down. I seem to panic every time I feel something that wasn't there before surgery. Laying on ice seems to calm my leg nerves down. 
    TLIF L4-S1 2007                                         TLIF L3-L4 2008                                          TLIF L2-L3 2016
  • cspencer13ccspencer13 CaliforniaPosts: 37
    Good call...I'm going to make a note to ice it at least once a day.
    Cyndi
    39y.o. mom of 4
advertisement