Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Possible microdiscectomy surgery

I've been having sciatica pain in my left leg since September and had been put on steroids, NSAIDs, and pain meds. Went to a chiropractor in December as I was still having issues and didn't have insurance to go to an orthopedic dr to have an MRI etc. I continued going to him until early last month as I saw a lot of improvement with that but was not able to do any of the exercises he suggested as I could hardly walk afterwards. Unfortunately my pain got back to how bad it was at the beginning and even had pain in my left foot also so the chiropractor told me to go to the orthopedic dr. I finally had insurance so went and had an MRI and found out I have 2 herniated disc. The orthopedic dr's PA suggested 3 things- no nothing, have shots in my back or have microdiscectomy surgery. He said the shots would probably be pointless for me though so not sure why he even suggested them? The last few weeks I've hardly had any leg pain other than when I first wake up but my foot has been hurting almost all day and my low back hurts almost all the time. I have been trying to hold off on the surgery as im hoping the herniations will get better on their own but I would say after I've had issues since September I'm probably hoping for too much. I don't even remember how big he said the herniations were. Ugh just trying to decide if I should go ahead and have the surgery or wait and see if my pain comes back really bad again in my leg. Anyone ever had 2 disc herniations and not end up have surgery? Forgot to mention I'm only 26 and have known I have degenerative disc disease since I was 15. Would love to hear others experiences. 
Sign In or Register to comment.