Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

how bad is it?

rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
Hello everyone im scheduled to have an open tlif with stryker hardware and acculift spacer on l4/l5 on march 31st this will be my 3rd surgery on l4/l5 ive had 2 microdiscectomy/laminectomys prior to this once in 2014 and 2015. The surgeon says theres not much else we can so at rhis point besides the fusion every rhing else has failed to relieve my pain and physical therapy wont even try anymore they said anything they would try would hurt me worse at this point. Anyway my question was how bad does the pain get after the surgery? And do most people have to wear that turtle shell back brace or will it be the one i had from the micro d's?
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello rkay!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 03/29/2016 - 3:57 AM

Robert

For a young guy like you it will probably be a cake walk. The surgery it quite a bit more invavsive versus your previous surgeries so be prepared for that.  Some people wake up with zero nerve pain after surgery and some wake up with all of the pre-op nerve pain and more... there is really no predicting it... it all depends on how your nerves react to the surgery trauma.  Either way... don't panic as the fusion recovery is usually a long road of months not weeks.  Make sure you have 24/7 help at home for about the first week and read the pre-op and post-op must have lists here on this site... they are quite helpful.  Your doctor may or may not recommend a waist belt but I've never heard of anyone wearing the full body to neck brace for a single level fusion. Follow your doctors instructions and you should be fine.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
    Thanks! I have the grabber and toilet seat riser and things out of the cabinets all over the counter i did fine with the micro d's. I was worried about how far they gotta cut ypu open to do an open tlif verses minimally invasive but the surgeon said mi is not an option bexause of scar tissue from the last 2 surgeries? 
  • RacinredRRacinred United StatesPosts: 47
    I am day 12 post op C1-C7 anterior fusion with right illiac bone marrow harvesting. i am in my 40's this is my 2nd surgery since 2015 and i am doing fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am walking about 2 miles a day and next week i am walking 3 miles. i have full range of motion on my right side now, i can grip, i can open things, i am not falling over my own feet! This is what my discs needed to have the spacing to get off my spinal cord. Hate it took 2 surgeries but I am thankful and blessed i am feeling good! I pray for your recovery to be what it needs for you to heal properly and let us know how your doing! 
    Well today was the day for fusion. O man! What fresh hell is this? In my adult  life i dont ever remember being hurt so bad i cried like a baby and that made it worse. Ive broke fingers and toes and reset them myself this is excruciating! 
  • advertisement
  • RacinredRRacinred United StatesPosts: 47
    I am sorry to hear your having a rough time. It sounds to me like you had something totally different than I did. I pray for your comfort to rest and heal and begin to mend. Here to listen all hours of the day! One thing I have found is sleep and I are not friends!!!! 
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Robert

Hang tough... the first week is the worst.  Crying is normal... we all do/did it.  How is your pre-op nerve pain... gone? still there?  Are you managing to sleep ok?  How about your first walk?  You managed your computer and typing the first day.... that's damn good.  I don't think I even thought about getting online for the 4-5 days. 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
    Im pretty sure my wife typed that last post. I didnt even know my phone was at the hospital. Im 4 days post op just got home the pain is more managable now the first night was ridiculous!  Out of surgery they gave me 2 5mg norco! Lmao! Then my wife made the nurses call my doctor and they gave me dilated? And 10 mg percocet every 4 hours and every time they gave me the dilated i threw up and let me just say i wpuld have rather had my fingers broke with a hammer than to throw up after a fusion a day or so later they swithched it to demeral which was way better didnt get sick and the pain was managable.  The first walk wasnt as bad as ithought it would be getting up was the hardest part my nerve pain is pretty much allgone i have quite a bit of numbness in my left foot and my right upper thigh, but doc says the nerves gotta have time to heal he also said i had a deformity in my spine they call it bat wings? Said its common in 15 percent of patients but no big deal. I also had some illias which was really uncomfortable, basically the way he explained it is my intestines were still asleep and i had to stay a few extra days waiting on them to wake up but im feeling pretty good now that everything is working.
advertisement