Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Symptoms - What Sets it Off or Makes it Better?

I've had right SI discomfort for years. My symptoms include a chronic dull ache/tired feeling in my hip and buttock. When sitting and twist from the right to the left, I feel a pull or "crunch" at the top of my hip. Sometimes rolling over to the right while in bed REALLY hurts. The ache occasionally spreads to the groin area.

I have a pretty sedentary job, but it includes several repetitive motions.  Many times a day I must get out of my chair and twist from right to left to open a sliding window. I can feel a pull/stretch/ache/pain each time I do this. Therefore I really think this has been the cause or at least what aggravates my problem. Also, I'm sure my posture is a problem. I set at a desk most of the day and when I stand, my natural position is to put most of my weight on my right leg - the side that hurts. 

When I first get in bed, laying on my back, I can feel my muscles stretch out. 

There are times - sometimes an entire week - when I am totally pain/discomfort free.  I would love to know what activities/movements anger my SI joint and most importantly what gives me my pain free episodes.

My monthly chiropractic adjustments ease the discomfort somewhat.

I would love to hear from others with my symptoms. Have you found positions/activities that ease or aggravate? Is repetitive motion and a contributor?

FYI - I'm a 5'1 56 year old female who weighs 130 lbs.

Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• I'm not a doctor, but I have been diagnosed with SI Joint Dysfunction. You say the pain is on the upper leg, is the pain on the front of thigh or in back? I have only had pain on back and side of thigh, but occasionally in front pelvis area. I'm so sorry you are having this pain, I know how hard it is. I have been dealing with this pain for two years and now it is starting to get better from changing my lifestyle. I also have a hard time with standing in one place, this is very painful, as well as sitting. I definitely can't sit on soft couches or too soft chairs, as well as too hard chairs.
            If yours is SI Joint pain I want to share some things that have helped me, that may be worth a try. I found a good chiropractor that helped me get the stuck feeling back in place. I also went to a couple who I felt made it worse, so it's important to find one that you know is good. I also found help going to physical therapy, as it's important to strengthen the area when able. If you want details as to what brands I bought let me know. I wear a sacroiliac joint belt all of the time, it has been amazing. I felt relief as soon as I started wearing it. I use an ergonomic office chair when sitting at home, it's the only chair I can sit in comfortably. I also got a lumbar support cushion, had to try a few before I found one that worked for me. I use a soft seat cushion pillow in the car and bring it to places when I go out to restaurants and such, in case the chair is hard. I also bring my lumbar support pillow as well. I use TheraPearl Back Wrap, Reusable Cold Therapy Pack a few times a day. These are awesome, I can't recommend these enough. My pain is worse in morning and night. I found ice to be the most helpful. At first I used heat alot and I think it made the inflammation worse, when I switched to using ice it helped a lot. I put one on my very lower back and also one right above it. After I use ice, sometimes I use a heating pad as well. I use a pick up tool, for when bending hurts. They sell these at drug stores, I got mine at target it's called Gopher and it folds up. I actually have one in my car and two in my house as I use it so much! When I felt I was able to start doing floor exercises and stretching I found a padded mat really helped, as the hard floor put pressure on the joints. I also changed my diet to include anti inflammatory foods. I had to take alot of advil, but I'm now trying to use less as the pain gets better.
           These are the things that helped me the most, I know how frustrating this pain is, I hope you can find a plan that works for you. Most important is to take care of yourself and don't let others bring you down or make you feel bad for what you need to do. I found alot of people don't understand how debilitating this pain can be. Good luck and  I hope you can heal soon!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello,smssecretary!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement

• Thank you julsm, for you supportive reply!  

The only movement that really causes me pain is when I twist from right to left - my repetitive motion, but the achy butt and right lower back is almost constant. As I said, I have times every now and then when I'm ache/pain free for as long as a week. I wish I knew what I did or didn't do that brought the temporary relief.

Again, thank you for replying!

• Hope this helps.
    26 years ago I had my SI joint fused  with my bone not pins or screws. Since then my SI joint will cause pain down my left leg but will usually go away in 4-6 days. Just received some prednisone today to help.
    Here is what I know now (after all these years) what: NOT TO DO. 
    No Vacuuming - not even a light vacuum (I knew this but did it anyway and am paying the price)
    No bowling
    No lunges
    No leg press machines
    No running
    No siting with legs higher than a 90 degree angle (make sure your chair and car sits high enough)
    Again, I hope this helps eliminate some unnecessary pain and also hope my 26 years of this can help someone else. 

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.