Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How many set backs until feeling good is the norm?

I am 5.5 months post Opp from an ALIF.  Was finally really feeling good for about 10 days in a row.  Now I feel like I was where I was a month ago.  My lower back is sore, tender and tight.  My abdomen under my incision is also tight. I thought I was over this.   Do these set backs ever go away?  
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 04/03/2016 - 1:21 AM
    Yes... the ups and downs will eventually faltten out but for some of us it takes a longgggg time.  It took me a full 12 months plus to eventually feel even close to 100% normal.  For some of us getting the nerves and muscles sorted out to a new norm just takes a long time... not to mention the fusion process itself is also very slow and can take even more than a year. So before you fully fuse the pressure of your upper body loading onto the hdw in your lower spine when you sit or stand can cause stress and discomfort to your muscles and nerves.  Fusion recovery is a marathon not a sprint... hang in there... at 5.5 months you are probably better than half way there.    Are you doing daily walking?  Are you doing any kind of PT?
    Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Hvills Thanks. I am walking a lot and am pretty active. I stopped stretching because of the pain it was causing.  Did you have an ALIF?  
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 04/03/2016 - 5:16 PM

No.... mine was PLIF.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • SongJinSSongJin Arizona Posts: 287
    I'm only a month out of surgery and I'm already frustrated by the slow recovery. I feel like everyone else is fed up with me not "being normal" yet, which makes it worse. Now no one wants to help me with things, so I end up having to do it myself, which makes it worse. Then I get frustrated that I can't go for more than a few hours of doing anything before my neck locks up and I feel awful the rest of the evening. 
  • Yeah people don't understand how slow the healing process takes.  If it's frustrating to them then imagine how frustrating it is to us.  
  • advertisement
  • SongJinSSongJin Arizona Posts: 287
    It's incredible--I'm still in a rigid brace 24/7, and an ankle cast, but it's like okay your month of being sick and needing help are up! It's hard for me to slow down anyway, so it makes it much harder for me to avoid doing activities I know will hurt later--like cleaning my house, etc. Sitting around in a dirty house is depressing, but then if I clean it, I'm going to hurt later, etc. Can't win! 
advertisement