Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How are you Prescribed your Meds? Opioids? Is this reasonable?

Comments

• gr33zyincggr33zyinc Posts: 37
    edited 04/01/2016 - 8:02 PM
    Lucky you! ;) That is all I ask. Can't the doctor have the script in their computer/system/office so the secretary can give it to me in case of an emergency? I was left in limbo and told to go to the ER, where I could possibly (not for sure) get some more meds. An appointment was rescheduled for 20 days after that time! I had only left the ER room (16hour stay) a couple days earlier (and was not ready to do that again) so I said, ePH it I'll just see what withdrawal feels like thanks (in my mind of course). Thankfully I was able to meet the doctor a couple days later, but none the less, a couple days of unnecessary punishment.
  • gr33zyincggr33zyinc Posts: 37
    edited 04/01/2016 - 8:02 PM
  • advertisement
  • Ron

What new rules and regulations are you talking about it would be good for everyone to have a heads up.

Thanks Sherri

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    My experience same as Sandy above.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• gr33zyinc said:

Lucky you! ;) That is all I ask. Can't the doctor have the script in their computer/system/office so the secretary can give it to me in case of an emergency? I was left in limbo and told to go to the ER, where I could possibly (not for sure) get some more meds. An appointment was rescheduled for 20 days after that time! I had only left the ER room (16hour stay) a couple days earlier (and was not ready to do that again) so I said, ePH it I'll just see what withdrawal feels like thanks (in my mind of course). Thankfully I was able to meet the doctor a couple days later, but none the less, a couple days of unnecessary punishment.

Honestly,
    I think it varies according to when you were last seen by the physician. Some patients they simply won't do it for, for various reasons, but typically for established patients who are stable on their meds, mine have had the prescriptions printed off and signed them before they left for the day-but only for those patients with an appt for the day of the illness or emergency.
    Others were rescheduled for the following day, or they had another physician in the office see those patients.

• advertisement
  • Hi, at my PM doctor, appointments are booked every 4 weeks. It can be a few days before or after without an issue. My doctor and his staff want to make sure we don't run out of medication before our next appointment, so that's why appointments are scheduled every 4 weeks (28 days) and prescriptions are written for 30 days. That doesn't mean we can take all 30 days worth in the 28 day time frame, though. Pills are counted each visit in compliance with Florida law. 
  • skyhunter71sskyhunter71 Valparaiso, Indiana, USAPosts: 19
    After reading all of the responses, I now realize that laws on this may in fact differ from state to state.  I do not have to see PM every 30 days unless my condition changes, or she changes, adds to, or takes away a medication.  If there are no changes, and the meds are working fine, I see her every 60, and even every 90 days.  If I am not due back for 3 months, the prescription is dated on that day, but in the body says "FILL ON xx/xx/2016, respectively.  I place the next months' scripts in our fireproof safe until it is time.  The pharmacy can never fill before that date.  My insurance would never pay early on a 30 day script anyway.  The only exception is my percocet.  I found out by accident one time (I read the date wrong) that the pharmacy, and the insurance co, will fill / pay for percocet 28 days after the last fill.  I have no idea why.  Maybe its meant for short term med use, such as after a surgery or dental work.  I am fortunate never to have a problem getting an appointment before my scripts are due, and as others have said, I never leave the office without an appointment before that date.  Actually, the nurse and receptionist don't let me leave without making that appointment.    I take several different medications, some in high strength doses.  I have needed round the clock pain control for 10 years.  For me to be without anything, even for a day, would mean certain disaster.  I don't know how your office could be so aloof about your situation.  Remember though, there is always another side to the story.  You need to ask the doctor what his/her side is.  The bottom line is, as patients WE are responsible for ourselves.  Responsible for educating ourselves, being completely candid with the doctors, discussing options, talking with others with the same affliction, doing our own homework, and yes, making sure we have an appointment prior to the next script fill date before leaving that office.  
  • Thanks for sharing! It is not always in my control - like when I got there and was told the doctor left and I would not be able to get a script. I do appreciate your guys' replies, and I do think I received some great information here, to help prevent these types of situations from happening in the future.
  •  I ran into that situation once late in the day, and I was asked to come back the next day to pick up my script. That's usually never the case and my appointments are scheduled so that I don't run out. I do have to come in every month, and if it's early, I put my script on file until I'm ready to get it afterwards. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • My Dr. Calls me if he won't be in when my scripts are near fill time and he won't be in.I go pick them up and he has put the fill date on them.My appt. is always scheduled before I leave for the next time.They understand and with a pain PT. they know you have enough to deal with without having withdrawals.
advertisement