Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Week after surgery concerns

Hello everyone, 

I'm a 27 year old male and im one week post op on my l2-l3 microdiscectomy. So far the ride has been up and down and I understand I have awhile before I'm 100 percent but I have a few questions. As far has back pain it's pretty much nothing at this point. Mostly just my back not wanting to relax sometimes when I stand up but I was prescribed medication for that. I have having a concern for my hips and legs. Since the surgery My legs seem weaker and I have pain that I feel right in my hip joints in both legs with my left leg weaker. In bed if I move a certain way I get burning sensations in my upper thigh if I move in certain ways but it seems that has gotten better. I was just wondering if pain in the hip bones and weakness in the legs is normal in my situation. I know as far my back goes I feel so much better than it did and I don't feel like my surgery has failed but I've heard of people walking a lot right out of surgery and that just hasn't been the case for me due to me not having the strength to walk enough. I walk a little bit every few hours but not as much as other people I've noticed. 
advertisement

Comments

• JatcoJJatco CanadaPosts: 22
    Welcome Cory.. 
    I too have heard and read of people coming out of surgery Pain Free, but I wasn't that lucky, as are you. Everyone's situation is different and their results from surgery are too. I too have had pain issues with my legs ( moslty right) post surgery and only recently has that subsided and now more focused at my ankles and feet (both).  So the recovery process is loooooog. The healing and recovery isn't noticeable on a daily basis, but then one you wake up and find some, however small, improvement. Some days are better than others..
    l am 8 weeks post surgery and still have issues.
    Your body has gone through a major trauma. 
    .Hang tough and Be Careful with what you do and how you do it. 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    hello corysti89!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996

Cory

One week post-op really isn't much... your body suffered a lot of trauma both before and as part of your procedure... it will take some more time to get things back to normal.  Exactly why you are experiencing the pains and symptoms you are is hard to say... but overall you sound like you are doing really great.  Go walk... walk... and walk some more... it's the best thing you can do for your recovery.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • rjwirth65rjwirth65 Kansas City, Missouri Posts: 6
    Hi Cory,
    I hope this finds you doing better. I had a L2-3 discectomy in November 2015, although mine was far-lateral discectomy on the left side. My neurosurgeon waited a year before doing the surgery, so by that time my nerve involvement had really set in and most of my functioning was impaired ADL wise. Not sure if your pain was always limited to your back prior to surgery or did you have radiculopathy symptoms prior to surgery? I know everyone's experience is so different and we have wise ones on this forum to share their experiences, thankfully. I'm just a greenhorn, but still will share my experience. Not to scare you, but to encourage you to remain vigilant about communicating with your surgeon and ensure you feel your concerns are being addressed. 

For me, the shooting pains and complete numbness in my left thigh subsided a few days after surgery. Prior to surgery, I really didn't have much back pain compared to the radiculopathy pain. Unfortunately, the hip, buttock and groin pain was a different story and fluctuated between a level 5-8 pain 24/7 following surgery. From the level of our surgery (L2-3), I was told that having muscle spasms would be expected in the hip and buttock region and possibly the groin. So, I was given higher doses of gabapentin and muscle relaxers. Like you, I returned home after surgery and began my walking program and stuck to it (sat my alarm every hour to at least get on the treadmill for even 3 minutes - whatever I could do to get moving). However, every week I began declining in functioning and my pain in the areas I mentioned increased. I could barely walk again, just like prior to surgery. I kept returning to my neurosurgeon trying to explain that I thought something wasn't right. He reassured me that I need to give it time. I still couldn't return to work due to the pain, but then daily tasks became problematic, with frequent falls, decreased sensation in my entire leg and having difficulty knowing where my leg was "in space". Fast-forward to March 16th, 2016 and an ER visit (started losing bladder control - again) and they discovered I reherniated my disc. I learned from my surgeon that day that having a discectomy can make you more prone to reherniation. 

I noticed you posted on April 5th, so hoping you can update us on how you are doing. 
    Regards,
    Rebecca
    Rebecca

Left far-lateral disk herniation  of L2-3  10/14
    Epidural Steroid Injections and nerve blocks x 9  10/14 - 10/15
    Left far-lateral discectomy of L2-3 11/15
    Left and right far-lateral disc herniation L2-3  3/2016
    Bi-lateral far-lateral discectomy of L2-3  with laminectomy 7/2016
    Reherniation of left L2-3  August 2016
    Awaiting re-do of discectomy VS fusion
  • corysti89ccorysti89 ArkansasPosts: 3
    Well I figured I'd give an update. After about four days with very little improvement I called my doctor and she prescribed me some steroids to reduce inflammation and I noticed a big difference. I was feeling pretty good until yesterday when I think I over did it with the standing and moving around. By the end of the night I was hurting pretty good in both legs and my tail bone would hurt if i tried to walk or stand for more than 10 minutes at a time. At the moment Im worried I might have damaged something but Im hoping that I just flared the nerves. Today I took it a lot easier and while Im not hurting as bad it still has me a little worried. Right now my back just feels weak and with pain around my tail bone and thighs. 
  • advertisement
advertisement