Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Unable to stand and walk independently after fusion..

Hello :) This is my first discussion. I am 18 years old and 5 months post op after my spinal fusion from T2 till L1 for cervical scoliosis as well as lumbar lardosis. I have had decompression surgery and duroplasty surgery 2 years back while I had scoliosis. I also have Osteogenesis Imperfecta by birth. My curve came down from 85degree to 38degree. I was walking myself though with difficulty due to constant pressure / pain in my back and shortness of breath even after these two surgeries mentioned above. After my spinal fusion , now I have no pain or pressure and no tiredness nothing but I have become unable to stand on my own and of course can't walk independently too. I walk holding too hands. I feel as if I have lost balance and can't bear my own weight on my legs or pelvis.
Can the spine surgery be the cause??? As other than this issue , I feel normal and more active than before..
What could it be??
advertisement

Comments

• Aneesh22Aneesh22 PakistanPosts: 3
    Please help..
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Aneesh22!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello....
    Im curious, do you or have you had physical therapy?
    Is your surgeon still managing your care post op? Or your primary doctor? Other?

When you walk, is it holding onto another person's  two hands? Curious if that means you need someone with you at all times?

There aren't any medical professionals on discussion forum.
    As members read your comment, members will respond with shared experiences.

You may find it beneficial to use the search on this site, upper right on page.
    Type in your concerns, and you may be led to current or older discussions.
    You may also be led to the medical side with articles and videos.

Personally, I learn best with the videos and find the more I search, the more questions I have, and write down for Doctor.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Aneesh22Aneesh22 PakistanPosts: 3
    The surgeon is still seeing me on appointment visits on a two monthly basis.. No physical therapy suggested as em osteogenic and it might be unsafe for my femoral bones.. and yes I need to hold one hand all the time to walk and two hands also when I feel like it..
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 236
    You would have to ask your doctor if you could start physical therapy or water aerobics. See if there is a YMCA  or a place with a pool that you can swim in.  Some gyms, schools and hotels have pools that you can use. I find  just floating around moving the legs and arms are good PT. Plus you dont have to hang onto anything. 
    Greg fisher
  • advertisement
  • I had a fusion with a Hartshill Rectangle, my surgeon said it would be 18months for me to heal fully, I wish you well you will need patience.

Develop those coping strategies stay positive that is a big operation you have been brave in seeking some improvement for your challenging condition.

Be kind to yourself, John.
advertisement