Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF

I have long standing spine issues. In addition to neck pain, about 5. Months ago, I started to develop pain and weakness in my shoulders and right arm. Recently, I have started to notice  intermittent mild fine motor changes.

the past 8 months, I have had PT, Accupuncture, deep tissue massage, trigger point injections, radio frequency ablation and a cervical epidural. Despite these treatments, I have increasing arm issues. 

I have seen 5 board certified spine/ neurosurgeons.  1 wants to do a 3 level laminectomy with fusion, another 2 artificial discs, 1!- 2 level posterior foramenectomy, 1 3 level ACDF and another a 2 level ACDF

i am so confused. I am not considering the artificial disc and laminectomy. The idea of a fusion scares me due to the risk of adjacent segments going.  I was hoping that you can tell me about your experiences. 

This is is an MRI from 2 months ago. 

C2/c3 uncoventtebral hypertrophy with moderate to severe left neural foraminal narrowing

C3/c4  left sided foraminal encroachment

C4/c5 c5/c6 . left disk oseophyte complex causing a mass effect on the ventral subarachnoid spaces abutting (not displacing) the cord

c/6 to c/7  degenerative facet changes with severe bilateral neural foraminal narrowing and mild central stenosis.  Marked spinal stenosis secondary to bulging disks and posterior osteophytes and bilateral foraminal narrowing

t1/t2,  posterior disc protrusion

t2/t3  slight anterolistesis with posterior disc bulge.  Disc appears to contact but not definitely compress the ventral aspect of the thoractic cord

t/3-t/4, I had right paracentral disc protrusion.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello amygirl!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

Just a reminder. There are no medical professionals on discussion forums.
    We members are not allowed to give comments on any MRI, or other, test results.
    Written impressions are not diagnoses, but tools to help your doctor. Your doctor would need to explain to you.
    Thank you...
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,671
    As Sue stated, there are no medical professionals on this site and no one is qualified to provide any type of analysis of MRI or any other diagnostic reports.

But there are always 3 keywords that say it all
    Mild
    Moderate
    Severe

When it starts to read severe, many times surgery is the only option.  Personally, I have had 2 ACDF surgeries 
    (C4/C5/C6/C7) with a titanium plate and screws.  My ACDFs were in 1994 and 2000.  Both times, I had to wear a hard cervical collar 24x7 for 7 weeks.   Overall, I felt that the cervical surgery was the best to recover from and the best to have long time positive outcomes.  My main problem today after all those years is limited range of motion moving left to right.

The best approach is to understand your condition and the surgical options.
    Cervical Surgery
    ACDF Surgical Video

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement