Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery after diseconomy L5-S1 :I'm having a hard time.

Hi my name is Sophie I'm 23 and just had a discectomy surgery on 04-04-2016. I was injured back in Nov. 2015 and haven't had much relief from pain. I was prescribed pain medications and other stuff to help with nerve pain but nothing has seemed to work. I know that I'm only a couple of days Post OP but I am getting very discouraged and worried that I am going to always be in pain. Since my surgery my pain has only gotten worse. The only thing that I hope from this forum is to read stories of others recoveries good or bad so I don't feel as alone. My family is very sympathetic but don't quite understand everything that I am going through. And nights like these where the pain is unbearable and I have taken and done everything that I can to try and ease my pain it is nice to read that I am not alone.

I also want to say thank you in advance to everyone sharing their stories of recovery its very helpful and nice to see I'm not the only one having a hard time.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello sophster83!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Sophie,

I hope you get well soon! I recently posted about my experience so far with microdiscectomy at L5-S1, I am 2.5 weeks post-op at the moment. It sounds like there are some similarities. I wouldn't be discouraged by the pain as it is still too early to tell the outcome. Easier said than done, I know. The early days were the worst for me as you've got the pain to deal with, limited mobility and a lack of activities to keep you distracted!

Which disc was it?

J. :)
  • advertisement
  • checkitupccheckitup Vancouver, WashingtonPosts: 9
    Sorry to hear you're having a hard time.  I had my microdiscectomy (l5/s1) on 3/16/16.  I too was in more pain after the surgery than before, but if it you give it time it gets better.  The turning point for me was about two weeks after the surgery.  Its now been four weeks and I still have pain but everyday it seems to be a little better.  One thing that made a made big difference for me was a 6 day prednisone cycle.  Tried one before the surgery and it did nothing but the cycle after the surgery really helped.  Hang in there it does get better.