Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Muscle pain on right side unable to sit down post L5 S1 disc decompression

hi 
can anyone advice what I can do to improve my sitting time. I eventually had disc decompression 6 weeks ago following  long period of sciatica, my surgeon found 2 large pieces of disc broken away and also had to free up the sciatic nerve canal. I am doing very well with my walking up to 3 miles now and have done 4, my flexibility on standing is good, however since week 3 I have not been able to sit down. I am off my pain medication although I have a dull ache in the lower back I can manage that, unless I sit down I. When I try to sit I can feel it tightening after 7-8 minutes and cannot bear it after 10 minutes which forces me to stand up. Straightening and standing from sitting causes a sudden severe pain in my right side which then forces me to lie down flat with my knees bent. I have had a an MRI and am awaiting the result. Will it show muscle atrophey ? I think I need Physio to stop this but they are nervous of doing anything until I can see my consultant which is later this week. I want to go back to work but I can't even sit to eat a meal. How long will this last ? What can I do to help myself? Has this happened to others? Will the MRI show me the answers ? 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Ruby50!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I'd love to hear any responses. Sitting has been close to impossible for me for a long time. Still searching for the answer. (Had L4-5 laminectomy 4 years ago) :(

• advertisement
  • Did anything happen in week 3 that triggered it? This sounds exactly like the pain I was in pre-op from L5-S1, except that mine would continue with walking. From what I have read, it could be many things, including re-herniation (it seems there is a greater risk of this in the first 6 weeks), scar tissue etc. At least it should be clear from the MRI if it is those things, and then you can make the call on what to do about it. I think the physio is right to wait and see what the consultant says, too many of them rush into treatment and make it worse as they don't know what is wrong.