Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Hello and "about me"

Hello all. I am a 38 year old female from big old Texas. I have headaches and migraines, pain in my lower back, upper back, and neck. I have have always had headaches here and there, but after the birth of my fourth child they became worse in pain and daily, and migraines came once or twice a week along with the lower back pain. I tried to ask my OB if this was normal due to the fact that I had gotten an epidural. What I tried to tell everyone, that only the nurse, myself, and anesthesiologist knew, was that he stuck me in the back 3 times before he got it right on the fourth try. This guy was totally distracted, talking to the nurse and answering his cell phone. Eventually even the nurse told him to just pay attention to what he was doing. All that aside, everyone says epidurals do not cause lasting headaches and definitely not back pain. Needless to say, the headaches never stopped. The back pain in my lower back,  that was a dull ache in the beginning, grew into real pain within 3 years time with new pain beginning in my upper/mid back right at my bra line.

I had my son in 2010. By 2012 I was in my GPs about my headaches, migraines, and back pain. They did get an Mir for on my head. I went through quite a few meds for the headaches that I could not take due to the fact that they would knock me out. I have 4 children. At the time they were 2, 3, 8, 12. I could not be falling asleep with babies at home, nor could I relax in a dark quiet room with the onset of every headache. But my Dr. Just looked at me like I was crazy and said that is what needed to happen and these are the meds and if you can't take them, oh well. I think I ended up with butap APAP. And for my back it was just muscle relaxers and ibuprofen, which I had been taking any way and, it wasn't cutting it.

After a year (2013)of dealing, and having gone back to my GPs a couple of times they finally sent me for an MRI of my mid to ower back. The report stated a few slight herniations and arthritis. They told me at 35 I basically had the the back of a 60yr old, and I had no reason to be in the pain I was saying I was in. And this is where it all started going downhill for me. I had a very hard time convincing them that my pain was very real. They did give me about a week worth of vicodin and told me they could do more tests. I think they did some blood work. But honestly, they weren't very nice about all of it in the end and I didn't really want to go back. In the meantime my husband convinced me to see a spine Dr. I made the appt and had my MRI faxed over just to be told that this was nothing. He deals with patients that are much worse off needing surgery and I just needed a chiropractor. He gave me a small script for tramadol, which did absolutely nothing for me. I found a chiropractor who actually looked at the MRI image and was concerned with my extremely lower facets and did a six week therapy on me. Didn't stop the pain. (Tramadol was gone.)  He referred me to a pain management Dr who put injections in my lower back, well my facets. So low, the injection sites were almost at my tailbone. (Now, mind you, all this time I am also complaining of my mid to upper back and everyone's only concern is my lower back.) This all also didn't change anything. I was to go back to him but in the mean time I went to my GP to try to get some meds to alleviate the pain while trying to fix the problem with this other Dr. My gp was VERY ugly to me. Gave me some me vicodin and pretty much told me not to come there asking for anything else.  Back to the PM Dr that doesn't give meds. Only does injections and procedures......About a month later he burnt the facet nerves. Although I did feel a slight change in pain for a while,  this was not the source of the problem. I still had PAIN.  He then referred me to a Dr for surgical analysis/screening but I couldn't see him. He  didn't take any insurance and it was $500 for a consolation plus an MRI and X-Rays at his facility (no ins) so he could read them. I was looking to pay $900 and that was just the first visit.

That was the beginning of 2014. I had been told by 4 doctors, that were not very nice to me, they had done what they could  and that I should not be feeling the pain that I was feeling. But I was in pain and afraid to seek any more help from anywhere else. Doctors are not nice and they just looked at me like I was crazy and I just wanted a hand full of meds. And so my  suffering began. My husband begged me to seek other doctors or (God forbid) go back to our GP. No way. I would have anxiety just thinking about it. Everything in my life came to a halt. I have even been the worst mother ever, only doing what is absolutely necessary to get by. Last year I only had one child out of school, and this year they are now all in. I got to the point where I could barely drag myself out of bed everyday and dreaded my kids getting off the bus in the afternoon. My Quality of life was 0. I recently feel as though I have a pinched nerve in my neck as I have hot or numbing "funny bone" type pain shooting into my left shoulder down my left arm.  My husband was talking to a childhood friend who suffered loads of nerve damage from an accident and got that name of his doctor. He is a neurologist/pain management Dr. I made an appointment. This was literally a month ago. He put me on the butrans patch. I'm up to 15mcg right now hoping for the 20 and Lyrica. I also take zonegram for headache prevention and rizatriptain for migraines. I got an MRI from head to tailbone and go back to see him on the 26th of this month. He was very nice and didn't seem to understand why no one would help me with my pain. Hopefully he is heaven sent. Thanks for reading my story if you did. I look forward to reading a great many things on these forums.
*Spinal arthritis         *DDD       *cervical steroid injections (2016)
*degenerated disks w/pinched nerve C5/C6 & C6/C7(needs surgery) 
*worst herniations T7/T8 & L3/L4
*(2013) Facet injections twice 
*(2013) Facet denervations
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello breezy77!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Hello.....
    It seems word of mouth is great way to find good doctors!
    I wish you best of luck with him!

My PM doctors have all been good, but the one I see now is PM/neurologist and had been most helpful, esp with my other health issues.

Please keep us posted!
    Sue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• advertisement
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Heavens sake, I'm so sorry to hear what you have gone through...with FOUR children! I have one, and I am struggling with the bare minimum. 

I'm glad to hear you are confident in your new provider and treatment. I know exactly the anxiety and frustration you spoke of. I hope it just keeps getting better for you!

:)
  • abbysheafferaabbysheaffer Lancaster, PAPosts: 1
    Hi I'm a 37 year old female from Pa. I can relate almost identically to your story in some aspects. I was in a horrible car accident in 1995. My best friend was driving and she fell asleep and was killed. I sustained 6 broken vertebrates in my neck and back and was in a coma for two weeks. I lived well and made a full recovery...until in 2009 in the midst of a horrible heartbreak, I started feeling like someone was cutting my head or pouring hot lava on me. The pain changes but has been constant daily since then to present. Its been so hard and I'm thankful that so many people prayed which is why I made it. I just long so much for relief. I hope that your appointment went well. Please feel free to message me if you ever would like to talk. It's encouraging because your post helped me to see that we are not alone. Even though it feels like that sometimes. Thanks.
  • Thank you for your kind words. I will update after my next appointment. And, abbysheaffer, until recently I felt very alone. For a great many reasons that I cannot even try to explain, I let those doctors from my past make me afraid to  see other doctors, to seek answers, find a correct diagnosis, figure out solutions, get help for the pain. I had so much anxiety seeing this new dr that I had sweat through my shirt halfway through the appointment. And when I walked out of there with my prescriptions in hand I was crying tears of joy, thanking the Lord, and I didn't even really even know what they were. I hadn't even heard of  2 of them. I was researching my butrans patches and kept coming across the spine health forums and decided I needed to know what it was all about. I'm so happy to be in touch with real people's experiences and to be able to share my own if I ever feel the need.
  • advertisement
    hello abbeysheaffer!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue

• Good luck on the 26th and welcome to the forum .. its a great source of information, support and a feeling that there is a hand somewhere out there holding you up and helping you on :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /> 
    Take care
    AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Hello
    My name is Michelle and I have DDD. I am post op 6 weeks from mis tlif L5 S1, due to spondylosis, spinal stenosis, and spondylothesis. I am doing better now but I still am having issues. My main problem is a new numbness in my lower back and groin area, and in my anus (it is what it is lol) and across my lower buttocks. It is nice to meet all of you and feel like I have a place to go and talk about the issues I am having and hopefully help someone with there issues as well. 
    DDD
    spinal stenosis
    Spondylothesis
    Mis tlif L5 S1
  • Today I went back to my new neurologist/pain management doctor (who I love already) for a check in/up and the results of my MRI.  Let's just say the pain I have has been validated. I will tell you to the best of my ability as I did not write it down nor did I receive an actual report but on my next visit I will do so and correct any mistakes I make as of now. I have herniations (I believe) at T4 thru T8. T7/T8 is the worst. Also at L3/L4 and bad facets also in that area. The worst of it is the pinched nerve in my neck due to two degenerated disks C5 thru C7. C6/C7 needing surgery. We are holding off on that as long as I can and he is scheduling me for an injection as soon as possible. He was supposed to give me some paperwork on a procedure for my other disks but forgot in the end. It's where they heat up the disks?? This is the plan for now. He upped the level of my Lyrica to 50mg twice a day and the butrans patch to 20mcg. Other than that I take zonisomide 50mg twice daily for headache prevention and maxalt 10mg as needed for migraines.  I will get my injection done and go back to him in June. 

As much as my neck hurts, I am very afraid of having surgery.  I need to wait it out as long as I can due to the fact that I have two young boys (5 and 7) to care for. I do have a 13 year old daughter but I can't expect her to play my role as mom, and my husband works 12 hours  a day 7 days a week most of the time. A surgery for me would definitely have to be well timed so that he could use all his vacation days all at once to be home with me on my road to recovery. For that to happen I'm already looking at 2017...sigh...

I got the answers I was looking for, I'm getting help for the pain andI have a plan in action!  Wish me luck friends. 

Feather 
advertisement