Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

2 weeks post op l4/l5 open tlif

rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
Hello everyone, im 29 and a little bit over 2 weeks post op of an open tlif . I was wondering if anyone else has had any of the problems i have. After surgery i was in extreme pain they didnt hook me up to any pain pump instead they gave me dilated and percocet every 4 hours but the dilaudid made me throw up every time they gave it to me which was just hell it was by far the worst pain I've ever been in after 2 days they switched it to demoral which knocked me out right after but didnt make me sick. Fast forward I've been home for a little over 2 weeks and before the surgery my left leg was numb part of the time and hurt all of the time and pretty much quit working my right leg was fine now after the surgery left leg is still a little numb foot still doesnt work and every morning i have sciatica down my right leg which goes away after i take a couple pills and get up and move around . I went to the doc yesterday for a check up and he said everything looks good on the xrays and mentioned i had a bat wing deformity at l5 which can be a source of back pain but didnt do anything to it wants to wait till i recover from the fusion to see how i feel i had asked about pt but he says thats not an option for another 4 weeks just walk and dont pick ip anything heavier than a fishing pole. O one more thing i watched Americas funniest home videos last night which was a huge mistake because everytime i laughed it caused extreme pain lol. Ive been reading on here and some people start pt 3 weeks after surgery but its going to be 6 weeks after for me? Is that kinda the norm or not?
advertisement

Comments

• JatcoJJatco CanadaPosts: 22
    Hi Rkey.. and Welcome to the forums..
    I hear your plight and to let you know you're not alone. I had similar a similar procedure done and I am now 9 weeks post op and still have similar problems. I can say however, they have improved ever so slightly and slowly of recent. Not the way I expect it, or as it was, but better than before. I gradually weened off the pain meds and take Anvil and/or Lyrica, that my surgeon prescribed. It helps, but the lazy right foot and numbness on both feet still exist. Everyone says it will take time.. Well, that it is. I've had no TP.., non suggested, except for walking..and becoming more mobile.
    You're existing pain seems to be common for this type of intrusive operation.
    Regarding the bat wing deformity at L5, I'm surprised that wasn't detected with earlier scans. Was a CT or MRI preformed or only the XRay...? 
    Good luck in your recovery and hope it all works out..!
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996

Rob

Each doctor is different regarding when they allow PT.  3 weeks sounds to early...  6-8 weeks is probably more like the norm.   I didn't start PT until 2 months post-op.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
    Jatco. The bat wing deformity was found on the mri, however the surgeon never told me about it he said after the surgery that it was bigger than the scans seemed to show, more profound. 
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996
    What is a bat wing deformity??? 
    Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • rkeyrrkey Freeman Spur Il.Posts: 23
    The way the surgeon explained it is that the l5 vertebrae couldnt decide weather it was a vertebrae or part of the pelvis the side of the vertebrae wings out and most times between it and the pelvis there is a joint thats not supposed to exist and when it wears out the bones are already so close they start to rub and cause problems
  • advertisement
advertisement