Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 Weeks Post-Op - Can I (lightly) smoke (or vape) Marijuana?

I've been a good patient.  I quit smoking cigarettes cold turkey months ago and understand the nicotine connection.  What I am not clear on is whether this applies to small amounts of Marijuana whether smoked or vaped?  Any definitive links (or compelling) would be appreciated.  It seems there is little to no research in this area and a dearth of open discussion.
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello td-kenwood!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,082
    That would be a good question for your doctor
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • advertisement
  • One of the problems with finding peer reviewed info regarding THC or other derivative of pot is because of the law.  Federal law still says pot is illegal.  Therefore, funding major studies is out because they cannot spend federal dollars to study a substance that they already say is illegal. 

There have been some independent studies done at universities that show THC is effective at pain management.  Problem is, there is no long lasting Cohort that tracks actual dosages and outcomes.

Like Ron stated, I'd ask your doctor to get his/her opinion.  I know with my PM doctor, if I test with any in my system, I would be discharged in a second! 

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Medical marijuana passed in my state. There are many places that it is legal & yes people use it for pain. Marijuana does not have carcinogens like cigerretts that interfer with the healing process & bone growth. I am a nurse & I know for a fact when you ask your doctor about marijuana in a State it's not legal they will take away your pain pills immediately because you are mixing them w recreational drugs... unfortunately they can't think outside the box. Good luck

• My pain management doc actually recommended I try medical marijuana, but I’d tried it before for anxiety and didn’t care for the effects. Post op, my neurosurgeon was very clear that pot interferes with fusion, so I’d be cautious. If you aren’t seeing a pain management doc, that’s where I’d start.

• advertisement
  • Anybody trying to quit smoking? Im having2 level fushion Jan3rd which is 6 weeks from today. But being the stress of Thanksgiving tomorrow , my husband giving me a one day pass! But then I'm left to sit at home in pain and no smoking and just worry even more! I could walk to the beach, but it hurts too much or the pool and hot tub, but that hurts too. Just standing hurts and sitting! In gonna be bored out of my mind! The 4th I'll get something for pain, then maybe I'll start doing SOMETHING! UNTIL then I see me eating and sleeping and reading! 6 weeks doesnt seem long unless you're waiting for something lol

advertisement