Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5-S1 MicroD - sciatica on opposite side?

kiopokkiopo UKPosts: 26
edited 04/18/2016 - 4:58 PM in Recovering from Surgery
So I was doing pretty well up to the 3 week mark in terms of recovery. I'm now on week 4. Some new numbness on the affected side and residual pain, but many improvements. My microdiscectomy was L5-S1.

7 days ago I had a setback. Gently exercising and felt a 'pop' in my back (almost like a joint had slipped somehow) and some mild pain on the opposite side that lasted about a second. Since then I have had sciatica symptoms on the opposite side (in buttocks and occasionally down the leg). They are not very intense and not there all the time, but disturbing when you are used to how it feels! Never really had any symptoms on the opposite side before surgery. I had noticed a few 'crunching' sensations a couple of days after surgery on that side too initially.

It hasn't worsened and extension exercises seem to help, but it's still there for sure. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have physio appointment next week and will make a GP appointment, and if it doesn't settle in a few weeks I will go back to the neurosurgeon. Just hoping it isn't a contralateral herniation.... ugh.
advertisement

Comments

• 3dm33dm New MexicoPosts: 24
    Around week 4 I noticed muscle spasms and pain appearing that I did not think it would.  My Dr said it is most likely due to inflammation and muscle being used that had not been doing much.
      Also, because of my sciatica,  my core became week.  When I was having my issue, they told me to take it easy, after all I did just have major surgery, and limit my movement to walking and mild hamstring stretch.  Even now at 7 weeks, I am hesitant to bend and especially twist.

I hope you feel better.
  • BrendenBrenden Kalamazoo, Michigan, USAPosts: 10
    I had the same surgery with my left leg being the symptomatic side. I am almost 5 weeks out. I too have experienced some pain on the opposite side. Mostly in my back and hip, however I can't tell if its nerve pain or muscle pain. It does not ever go down my leg though and its usually after I've been active.  
  • advertisement