Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

C5-6 and C6-7 Herniated disks with Radiculopathy - are there alternative treatments ?

Hi all, 

After my car accident (January 2016)I hurt my neck, and MRI ( 3 weeks later) revealed that I have 2 level herniation with with  C5- 6 and C6-7 with Osteophytes and HNP 3 mm and 8 mm at another side. Also my spinal cord is reduced to 0.8 cm ( instead of 2 cm ) at C6 level. 
I felt  pain first month after accident and was going to  chiropractor to heal, and it seem getting better with therapy and chiro adjustments. Chiropractor said I could resume some workouts.  I was nervous as neurologist examined my MRI and said this is significant damage, and I should see neurosurgeon immediately. 
I was feeling numbness in index finger in left arm and ring finger in right arm. and neck pain (when turning head to right ), but I thought I am recovering and jogging, yoga , house cleaning activities will be fine. Gosh I was wrong. after exercise and deep house cleaning I started feeling sharp pain in the neck and right shoulder radiating to full arm, and it was for 2 days constant pain till i started to feel my body getting numb, arms, shoulders, and head with concussion like pain. I almost lost my speech as I felt my throat started freezing. Myo  friend took me to emergency room and I got IV with cortisone and some inflammatory, painkillers... 
ever since I left ER ( it has been 5 weeks) I am feeling sharp pain in my neck, head ( concussion pain), left arm getting numb, 2 fingers getting numb only in the morning. 
I am in so much pain that I have to wear cervical collar everyday, as my head does not keep straight and pain. I keep taking ibuprofin, icing neck, started acupuncture last week. cial  Tried few phsycical therapy exercises.  The neuro surgeon said that I have significant pathology and surgery to replace 2 disks is my only option ( except insurance may only pay for 1 disk...) ... he said the spinal cord is being pressed so much, that is dangerous to have only 0.8 cm. I was researching steam cell injections, maybe proloteraphy , any other  ideas?

Anyone had similar situation? Is surgery really only option? or maybe i can give few months and it would heal?  My pain is on 70 % of the time,,, it is better in the morning, but starts after lunch or if I lift something... some days it is so bad that I cannot walk my dog ( gives me pressure on neck )... I am going to see another neuro surgeon in a week, but I need to find solutions also to make right decisions.

thank you so much!!!
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello mia_girl!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History