Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

5 days of Work, more sciatica pain, 3 stairs fall, to veterinarian and a partridge on a pear tree

NLTNNLT Pacific Northwest of USAPosts: 19
Ok, there wasn't really a partridge or a pear tree in this week but the other things happened. And I'm just a wee bit stressed :P I started back to work 1/2 time this week. my laminectomy was 3/16 and I could have had more time and sort of felt like I could use another week off work but I'm out of sick leave and money. So, anyway 1/2 time seems ok although I sure have been tired. And it's nice to be back, but I came back to about 900 emails and we are crazy busy and since I was out of work even before my surgery because the weakness (and pain) was so bad from the sciatica I couldn't work it's a touch overwhelming. 

Then Wednesday I was hurrying out the door because i was running late for work because I'd misplaced my wallet and my foot slipped off the porch step and I fell. And basically just fell down the last two steps and it has definitely made my back more sore than it was.  It shook me too because I'm used to being more... strong? More agile... I mean, before all this got bad, even if my foot have slipped I would have caught myself after a stumble but I just went down. And my back was very sore after that and I had to drop my walks down to shorter distance and it's so disheartening and 

Then there's my disabled puppy. She hasn't been doing well and this morning I took her to the vet. She is blind and has left side weakness due to brain damage at birth and she's also missing her right front leg. She's a tough cookie and my hero. I had a friend lift her into the car and the vet lifted her into the car after the visit. I did help her out of the car both times, since gravity did most of the work. She's probably ok. It looks like her back leg is sore so she has some pain meds. If that doesn't help it means something more serious is wrong and they run blood work . And she has already beaten all the odds. Every day is a gift with her. When I took her as a foster, she couldn't even walk and all the vets said she was hopeless. So it could be something much more sinister  and... well, not going to think about that. . But that was a vet bill when I'm broke and even with the help getting her in the car it was more helping her than I probably should have done

And then I went to a Passover Seder tonight and those are always long affairs and I did a lot of help bring food to the table, partly because I always do and partly because teh chair was not comfortable and at the end of the evening I noticed that I was having tingling in my foot, which I haven't had since surgery. And I am hoping it's just a sign I have overdone this week but right now on top of everything else it's just stressing me out. What if I've completely screwed up my recovery? 

So, I'm feeling overwhelmed and I just needed to vent. My body is obviously telling me to slow down and take it easy and I will do that, but the rest is out of my control. And I live alone and have no family, so taking it easy is hard. (I will though). My friends have been great, but they all have lives and when I wasn't working I was managing to do more around the house but this week stuff really piled up.  

On the bright side, I have those wonderful friends I mentioned. I have a job and a home. I have that amazing and inspiring dog and 4 other critters as well. 

advertisement