Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Having extreme lower back pain for 8 years? why do mri's keep coming back normal?

I been having lower back pain for 8 years now. It hurts the most when I sit. The longer I sit the more it hurts. It also hurts when I stand in one spot long and when I lay on my side and back.I also have weakness in my left leg. I had 3 MRI's.. One in 2008,2011,and one last week. My orthopedic doctor told me today that the MRI was normal.

Im frustarted and dont know what to do next. The doctor said there is nothing she can do being that the MRI was normal and sorry to hear I am in pain. Can anyone give me any advice on what  I should do next
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello rezz!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Hello....
    Curious if you have seen a pain management doctor?
    Sue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• advertisement
  • I feel like I'm a broken record now that I've been vindicated by this recent mri,but you need to ask for specific examinations that'll test your S1. Your symptoms will help them decide if that's a possibility. 
  • VwsurferVVwsurfer England Posts: 5
    Hi there, Iv just posted a similar post, I hope there are some answers for you.
  • Request a ct scan. I've had several mri's too that came back normal. Ct scan showed congenatal abnormalities in my pelvis including bertolotti syndrome. I've  had countless doctors write me off as "all in you head crap." I just got back from bilateral si joint injections, I'm hoping that they will work.
  • advertisement
    Hello nate51678!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue

• rezzrrezz brooklynPosts: 3
    edited 06/18/2016 - 11:00 PM
    I haven't seen a pain management doctor yet. Pain management Doctor is booked and I will have to wait a couple months to see him. 
    I also meant to mention I have weakness in my left foot and from my left knee and down. 
    So you guys think I should request a cat scan? Is there any other test I can request to see what's going on with my back? It's frustrating cause of the amount of years I had this lower back pain

What are the specific tests that I can ask for S1? 
  • mcbmmcb Los AngelesPosts: 1
    Can't find the link.
  • rezzrrezz brooklynPosts: 3
    I'm back. Still nothing yet. The doctor told me that he think it's muscle spasms and that there's nothing he can do because the MRI is normal. I don't understand how someone can have muscle spasms for over 8 years. He gave me muscle relaxers but they didn't help at all. 

I still haven't seen a pain management doctor yet. It's frustrating cause it seems like I'm not getting any help. One doctor tried to tell me it's all in my head. 

I am suppose to be getting a emg test for the weakness in my left leg and left foot. They say they will only do the test on my left foot and left leg but not my back. 

What shoikd be he my next step? Someone on here said I should ask them to test my S1? What is that? How would I say that to my doctor the next time I see him
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 860
    rezz - I know the MRI run-around feeling.  I had about 10 MRIs over 17 years and always got the "nothing found", it's all in your head reply.  I finally found a neurosurgeon that was willing to think outside of the box.  He did a bone scan and found a ripped facet joint.  He later went on to tell me that MRIs are NOT the gold standard that most doctors make them out to be.  He ended up doing a cervical fusion, but it now looks like I have a partial but permanent spinal cord injury because it took 17 years to get intervention.  I am set to have a neuromuscular work-up next month.
advertisement