Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Intro:28 yr old male, L4/L5 paracentral disc herniation. Central Canal Stenosis

Hi everyone,

It's a relief to know there is a forum where we can discuss common issues. I'm a 28 year old male who's been dealing with sciatica for 5 months now. In the past, i would workout daily (lift weights, 30 min cardio, mostly treadmill/elliptical) and ignored my initial lower back pain. To make matters worse, i continued doing exercises and stretches that  I now know were counterproductive. It wasn't until the pain became unbearable that i met with my primary care physician. Sh prescribed anti-inflammatory's and muscle relaxers along with a recommendation for physical therapy. In the meantime, i gained about 15 pounds (due to the fact that I stopped working out and ate more).

The pain became so unbearable that I couldn't sit down at work for more than 10 minutes without feeling excruciating pain in my lower back running down my left leg. Sitting up in a char was an issue and waking up after sleeping was an issue as well. After consulting an orthopedist and receiving a MRI, i was told that i have a central/left paracentral disc herniation, protucsion type, which causes mild to moderate central canal stenosis (no neural stenosis). Luckily after a month, the pain has subsided (no longer running down my leg) and as long as i stretch for 15 minutes every morning and 15 minutes before i go to sleep, i will have minimal pain in my lower back. Because of this, the orthopedist said i will not require surgery or an injection.

My question is, will I ever get to a point where the pain is completely eliminated? I still cannot do much cardio without it flaring up. Does that ever end? I'm trying to lose weight; however, it appears that the only way is dieting because the treadmill/elliptical still cause a flare up. I'm eager to know what exercises people do for weight loss and to build muscle. I restrict myself to  push-ups/dips/crunches out of fear that any weight lifting will cause a flare up. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any suggestions!
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello dbrown121!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History