Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Hi there

Hi I'm Sierra. I've finally decided to join here since I'm always on here looking for similar stories, experiences to learn from. I had a herniated disc about 2 years ago L4 L5 on the Right side with horrible leg pain and foot numbness. I tried epidural steroid injections, 2 of them with no help. I ended up taking about 6 months to heal and another 2 after that to get back to normal functions. I'm a fitness instructor, a single mom of 2 daughters and my life is very active. Last week while doing a dead lift teaching class my spine moved and I had that shooting pain in my right butt cheek and down lateral leg again. MRI Monday confirmed same herniated disc again. I'm here because I need to hear your experiences if similar to mine and what your choices were if you lead the style of life I do and what you are happy you chose to do and what you wish you had done differently. Thanks for reading, I tried not to be too long winded. Take Care. Hope to hear from you.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    welcome samnevada

please click on the link for useful information
    welcome to spine-health

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • LyndMaxLLyndMax Chicago, ILPosts: 7
    Hi Sierra,
    I am a 44 year old active female.  I love to ski and golf.  I herniated my L5/S1 disc at least 5 years ago if not more. I too had the horrible pain down my leg (left) and in my glute and hip.  I also lost feeling in my big toe.  I tried all sorts of things to heal the disc...physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture, steroid injections, etc.  The steroid injections would make it feel better for awhile, but the pain always came back.  Finally, in Januray I went to see my orthopedic doctor again and have another MRI.  Unfortunately, the disc did not heal on its own and actually got a little worse.  Therefore, I decided to have a microdiscectomy.  I had it 3 days ago on April 26th.  So far, I am so glad I did.  The surgeon took out a pretty sizeable piece of disc and also said that he repaired the nerve.  His resident said that she could tell that it had been herniated for a long time.  The surgery wasn't bad (actually my first besides wisdom teeth), and I am feeling better each day.  The pain is gone, except once in awhile I feel some left glute pain, but I hear that is to be expected since the nerve needs time to heal.  I wish I would have done this long ago.  I don't have kids, so that part of my recovery has been easier than if I did have kids.  However, if you prepare in advance, you should be able to manage without much trouble.  It is worth it to feel so much better as I do.  
  • advertisement
  • SamnevadaSSamnevada UniversePosts: 3
    Wow, thank you so much. I appreciate your response. I am seriously considering the surgery, microdixcectomy because I onto feel I can live another 6 months with this pain. I just need to find out how likely it would be to be a permanent fix , what chances of re herniation are. Since this time is a reherniation. Can it happen after surgery.