Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

May 2016 Surgical Buddies

joggerspiritjoggerspirit NJPosts: 166
edited 05/23/2016 - 12:00 PM in Surgery Buddies

Hi Everyone !

Anyone out there having surgery this month ? I will be having my 3rd surgery on May 19,2016. I am ready to move forward on this journey. I am content I found the right surgeon to help me. He did say that he felt 95% sure he could fix my pain issue and neck problems. I pray that this journey goes well and I recovery to a full pain free life. I want to thank ALL of YOU who have shared there stories and experience on this site ! It has been extremely helpful and comforting knowing I am not alone!

I am sending out prayers to all of you ~ May you find peace and comfort in all that you do but most all may you find solutions in your situations  ~

Tracy~
advertisement

Comments

• RacinredRRacinred United StatesPosts: 47
    Hope your doing well!!!!
    I had my 2nd neck surgery in March, Fusion from C2-C7
    I had a prior laminoplasty 2/11/15 went great and 2 months in all symptoms returned. Gave it an entire year and said i cant live like this. Fusion has (knock on wood) been best decision. Hated to have 2 back to back surgeries BUT feel it was best thing. I hope to keep imrovimg!!!!! I go back the end of June for my 2nd post op appt. Only issues right now is pain inside I feel the hardware, and snoring. All i hope will resolve soon~~~~~~~~~~~~ Have you had your surgery yet? Best wishes and keep us posted. If you dont mind me asking why did it take 3 surgeries? 
  • Hi,

I am on the count down now to surgery---5/19/16 and time is ticking ! Thanks for the well wishes ! I will definitely look for some inspiration throughout this recovery and this site seems to really help with that ! I am glad to hear your doing really well. What is going on with the snoring ? Is it from your recent surgery or some other reason ?

I had my first ACDF in 2009 of the C5/6 without hardware and although it was a long recovery (6months- 3 hard collar & 3 soft collar), all went fairly well. I returned to my normal active lifestyle as per instructed by the surgeon that I could ! He and I quote said, " I could throw you off a second story building and nothing would happen to my neck"...Unfortunately, only 5 years later I was back in pain just like the first time. I struggled to accept it but in the end I suffer from adjacent disc disease and was facing another surgery. I did have several opinions and some mentioned a 2 level fusion C6/7 with revision of the C5/6. I was so taken back and so much pain I went back to the original surgeon. In 5 years he had grown tremendously in the industry and refused to believe anything was wrong with the C5/6 - his first surgery. My gut told me different, but I was on the edge because the pain was so severe, that I scheduled the second surgery with him. Even the morning of the surgery my family and I re asked about the C5/6 and he promised it would be ok.

Well, needless to say I went through my second surgery and never was relieved of my pain. I have been in pain for about 2 years now! I have had all conservative  tx with no relief. The first surgeon did release me from his care and said that if I continued to have pain by sept to come back to him and we would go in the back of my neck. He even has the nerve to say we knew there is a bone spur on the C5/6....UGH !

So I refused to seek care by my original surgeon but sought the opinions of several other surgeons. Two said failed fusion on the C6/7 with bone spurring and some instability of my neck. The Orthopedic Surgeon I am going to have my surgery with listened to my symptoms and concerns and within a few minutes he felt the original surgery never addressed all the issues. The C5/6 is pushing on my spine flattening the spinal column and the C4/5 is pushed forward. All this was on the original MRI before my second surgery but the first surgeon wasn't listening-his ego made the decision's for my future. The new Ortho said he wasn't completely convinced the C6/7 wasn't fused but his surgical plan will cover the issue regardless.

Sorry for the LONG explanation but sometimes it feels good to vent and let it out ! As I sit here on the eve of yet another surgery I need to seek positive vibes and let go of the negative ones! Thanks for listening ! Please keep in touch I would love to know that you are doing well !

Tracy~
  • advertisement
  • RacinredRRacinred United StatesPosts: 47
    Positive vibes for you as i said before. It HAS BEEN WHAT HAS HELPED ME WITH THIS I HOPE AND PRAY TO GOD IS THE LAST NECK SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted. I posted in surgery buddies today 2 months Post op yesterday ( that is the post) I Love this site and i love the positive vibes your using and wanting, KEEP THEM UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • THANKS for your continued support and prayers ..it mean the world to me to know there are other out there that understand the journey ! Congrats on your continued success with your recovery!

Smiles,

Tracy

Tracy~
  • Tracy- I just signed up for this forum and saw your post. I prayed for your surgery just now. I hope it went well and this will be your final, healing surgery! I am supposed to have two-level disc replacement surgery with the Mobi-C discs on 5/31, but it keeps being denied by my insurance company. I will find out tomorrow if it was overturned. I have four herniated discs (C4-C7 and L4/5.) ~Jenn
  • advertisement
  • Hi there ,I will be having
    Laminectomy  disectomy with hardware on L4 -S1 May 31

C4-C6 anterior fusion with hardware  Oct 2002

May 2015 C7-T1 Disectomy with cage

Hardware & scar tissue removed with second surgery. No problems at all except it took a while to get my voice back. 
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Carolyn

They are installing hardware with a laminectomy and discectomy???  I've never heard of that... are you sure your doctor is not doing a fusion surgery on the 31st? 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello teachingtwin !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Jenn,

Thanks for the well wishes ! I am 1 week post op and I am feeling great ! I have some surgical pain and to be honest the first week is the toughest, but I am so thankful and blessed to of had a great team of doctors!  I had a 4 level fusion with laminectomy @C5/6.

I know it is scary to be faced with the decision to have surgery but if you have done all your homework then you have to trust yourself, that all things will be ok ! As far you insurance denying your claim -well that can be frustrating ! I researched the Mobi-C for my second surgery and I really wanted it but my surgeon at the time wasn't convinced it was for me, so I went with fusion. I felt he answered all of my questions pros and cons a

Tracy~
  •   Racinred,

Thanks for the well wishes ! I am 1 week post op and I am feeling great ! I have some surgical pain and to be honest the first week is the toughest, but I am so thankful and blessed to of had a great team of doctors!  I Thanks for all your support ! How are you feeling ???

Tracy~
advertisement