Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Hello From UK [Neck DDD Plus Herniated Discs

Greetings to all at Spine-Health

Im 49yr old male living in UK

In September 2015 I was attempting major DIY on my Kitchen..Knocking walls down & lifting heavy stuff in to skip etc...I woke up the next day with severve neck pain.

Prior to this for a few years I would get a stiff neck occasionaly working as a graphic artist for the last 25years sitting in front of a computer,& not really taking long breaks due to work pressure

I do realise that many of you fellow members are from the USA...So here in UK we have option of the NHS or to pay for private treatment..So yes after months of getting nowhere with my GP [Doctor] & A&E  I paid for a MRI scan & a hour consultation with Orphopedic Consultant..MRI report as follows.

'There is loss of cervical lordosis with disc dehydration between C2 & C7.

At C4/5 there is minimal left foraminal narrowing,no nerve root impingement of nerve root.

At C5/6 there is small osteophytic bar [bone spur] & mild narrowing of C6 neural foramen but not impingement of nerve root.

No canal stenosis'

The orphopedic consultant looked at scans & report & said it was basically not that bad..

Well as I paid for MRI I had the pleasure of viewing MRI scans at home..In my uneducated opinion they do look pretty bad as im in constant pain 7 months later..

The discs from c2-c7 are 'black' dried out & bulging with the 2 areas mentioned herniated by less than a millimetre from my spinal cord..

It do's show that some people aparrently have far worse looking MRI scans with little symptoms or pain..

I have usual Radicular symptoms down arms etc...Currently having Physio & painkillers..

OK I wont bore you any more,just wanted

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello kneck!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks Savage.. Sorry my message do's appear to end abruptly,lol..I was going to end with 'Ok I wont bore you any more, just wanted too introduce myself..Best Wishes'....
  • advertisement
  • Kneck can you bring your MRI to A&E now & have them build from this? Maybe it could get the ball rolling?
  • Hi joyful_in_sorrows...Thanks for your message....Well back in Novemberr 2015, roughly 2 months after hurting my neck I returned to A&E with my MRI CD & Radiographer report as I was in total agony with neck & shoulder pain..The Doctors at A&E didn't even bother putting the MRI scans in their computer to view,just read the report & said there was little they could do!!..Just gave me painkillers & Diazipan...I wasn't expecting a miracle cure..

Its mid May 2016..& my neck is slightly better than back in November but still a 6/7 out of 10 on a pain scale with usual shoulder pain & crunching & cracking noises when moving neck..Maybe I should try & learn to live with chronic pain & stiff neck & continue with physiotherapy..I have attended local 'pain clinic' for advice on how to cope with such a condition..Im just amazed how stiff my neck is after 8months..But obviously the Disk Degeneration has caused some loss of free movement within the vertebrae joints..Best Wishes.

• Hi again joyful_in_sorrows..Just had a look at your profile & your MRI findings..I feel a bit of a 'moaner' compared to your condition..Think I'm going to have to have another MRI scan & seek further medical advice..
  • advertisement
  •  Hi Kneck, welcome to SH. Have you tried epidural injections or heat/ice packs? I have DDD and bulging discs in my neck  but it's not bad compared to my lower back. I also like using muscle creams for the stiffness and pain. I know how frustrating dealing with chronic pain is, and I know you're doing all you can to find answers. Hang in there and take care
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Hi Meydey,Thanks for your message..To be honest im still kinda scared of epidural ijections,which I know is silly.

But im trying to hold out for a little longer to see if my condition very slowly improves a little.Its 8 months now I still have pain & Radicular symptoms..I understand now my neck will never be the same again as before..

That's a great tip to use muscle creams for stiff neck..i only use massage oil at the moment & try & massage my neck to try & relieve stiffness..Seeing Physio tomorrow [go every 2-3 weeks now]...I take Amatriptaline & co-codamol for pain..also take Glucosamine with Chondroitin herbal supplement [supposed to be good for joints] 

Yes its surely is frustrating & draining dealing with chronic pain.. I get terrible headaches occassionaly also.

But Meyday it must be truly frustrating for you dealing with Lumbar back pain & sciatica on top of your neck DDD also.

Please take care & thanks again for your suggesstions.

Bye for Now

• DoxyDDoxy AdelaidePosts: 1
    Hi everyone. I just looked at my username and realise "Doxy" here down under is slang for an illegal recreational drug!!  Umm. Not in this case. It's a combination of my beautiful pugs names. Haha
    I am female.
    I have worked in the disability sector my entire working  life ( nearly 40 years) I am 55. In the past 5 years, I have worked in the community with servere and multiple disabilities ( wheelchair / bed ridden ) I absolutely love it. BUT
    clearly my body in particular my spine has just given out. Problem is waiting for the public system to see me and help. GP thinks I'll need surgery. I've had 4 weeks sick leave and while I'm considered "urgent" they have me booked in 18 AUGUST!  10 weeks away!!  I've used a lot of sick days already so I've gone back to work on passive shifts. I don't mind telling you guys, I'm .... IN........ AGONY. It's a hot knife in lumbar area. Running down legs. I've had sciatica before. This is different.  I've had CT. It says L4 is sort of twisted and leaning on L5. Displaced sideways. That's just one thing. It's all degenerative type stuff. But OMG. I haven't felt pain like this. Pain subsides ( eventually) when I'm laying. But standing/walking  ( lifting etc is OUT now) it's like I'm on a timer. I can only be on my feet a certain amount of time and I just can't stand it any more. It's really getting me down guys. All I want to do is work. Any ideas very welcome. I'm booked in for cortisone injection on June 20th. 
    Sorry for rambling on about me me me!! It's just I'm dreading my feet hitting the floor. Everyday!!!  
    End of rant. !!!  
    Thanks for listening. :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Doxy !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Pain is a funny thing. Not everyone has the same effect from the same condition. After a nasty fall, I developed nerve root compression at three cervical levels with severe, moderate and mild stenosis at the different levels due to ddd and one bone spur. Diagnosis included stenosis, myelopathy, radiculopathy and spondylosis and a completely straight neck...all of this caused some neurological deficits, hyperreflexia, numbness, reduced strength and loss of range of motion in my arms. The only pain I had was headaches and if I let muscle spasms go on too long before getting a muscle relaxer. I've never needed pain meds, even after surgery. If it weren't for the muscle spasms I'd never have gone to a doctor. I'm the odd one. If you are having pain, something is wrong. Maybe the mri isn't clearly showing how your discs are affecting the nerve roots or maybe your straightened neck is causing extra pressure. Have you seen a neurologist? Seen about alternate therapies to improve the lordosis? I see you're doing physio. Maybe think about massage or chiropractic consult? Surgery should be a last resort so exhaust all other options first, especially since you have to rely on nhs. I had to rely on it while we lived in Aus where my accident happened so I understand that challenge.I hope you get to the bottom of it and get some relief soon. :-)
advertisement