Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

L4-S1 Laminectomy & Disectomy *6 days post op

Hello everyone, 
I've been reading so much useful information on this site all day, I finally decided to join in and introduce myself.
Im a 43 yr old mother of two girls, 14 & 6 yrs old. Happily married to an amazing man and father who has been busting his butt for the last two weeks taking care of EVERYTHING. I also work full time and have a very active lifestyle. 
I've suffered with back pain since I was about 12 yrs old, went to PT several times, with some relief. Fast forward to th last 4 yrs and I've had 2 herniated disks, multiple epidural injections, PT, sciatic pain for the last year constantly. After all this, I was still not a candidate for surgery. I refuse to live on narcotics so I've been managing pain with naproxen and flexaril, massage therapy, yoga...anything I could do! Even lost 30 pounds hoping that would help. 
Two weeks ago pain in my sacral area and thigh go so bad, I went to see my family dr who thought maybe I was suffering with sacrilitus, gave me a steroid injection in the hip and said to rest a couple days. Well that night I stood up to walk and my leg collapsed under me, I couldn't move. By the grace of God, somehow my husband got me to the ER where I was later admitted with MRI, enough morphine, dolatted, Valium, steroids to take down a horse...and I was still in pain. It felt like someone was ripping my hamstring out of my leg with the slightest move of my pelvis. So much for making a long story short...but my L5/S1 was herniated so bad it was pushing into L4/L5, crushing my sciatic nerve root as well as there being a bone spur between it all. 
My surgeon was wonderful! When he operated my sciatic nerve was black and blue and he had to irrigate and massage it to revive it. Did the Laminectomy and Disectomy on L4-S1. Today is day 6 post op and I still have a completely numb heel but it was the whole foot a few days ago so that is already an improvement. 
I'm very optimistic and hopeful to get some quality of life back without the excruciating pain I've been living with for years now. I'm feeling really good but am on very strict restrictions for 6 weeks, other than sitting for 30 min at a time every couple hours and increasing my walking daily. 
Im really trying to be good to not screw this up!!! 
Move already learned so much from other posts I've read and am looking forward to more!
Thank you!
advertisement

Comments

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Hi!
    Sorry you went through that for so long...especially with kids to care for. Also glad to hear you have a wonderful, supportive husband. I do, too, and I can't even imagine what I would do/how much worse things would be without him. Bless them!

It's a shame that awful crisis had to happen to lead you to the intervention and relief you got. Sounds like a blessing in disguise.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I wish you healing, relief, and a return to your full, active life :)

Sara 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello jodieddieo!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement