Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

One month out from spinal fusion L4-S1

hi, I'm wondering what is normal. Am I ok? Didn't expect such intense, debilitating pain. I still need Percocet. Titrated down to one every eight hours. But, can barely walk. Intense pain when I stand up. Can't sit for very long. My doctor said its a "marathon " not a "race", but I don't know what that means regarding pain expectations. Getting ready to request refill for pain meds. Should I just suck it up?
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    welcome noni9
    please click on the links for useful information
    welcome to spine-health

spinal fusion surgery recovery: one to three months post-operation

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • bugslybbugsly MinnesotaPosts: 36
    Hello noni9,  I am 2 months out of L3 to S1 fusion.  I was off my meds in 2 weeks. Currently I'm in no pain. Sorry to hear your in pain yet.  Everybody is different and they all say it takes time.  It could be normal, only you and your doctor would be able to tell. Do you still have the pain prior to surgery?  Is this pain different.  Take care and make sure you don't BLT.
  • advertisement
  • "Sucking it up" and remaining in pain can cause more stress on your body than it needs while you are so young in the recovery process!  Please talk with your doctor about this--he/she would be able to answer questions about what happens to your body when it is going through the "pain response" (elevated heart rates, adrenaline levels, etc.).  Yes, it is a marathon, but endurance can be aided by proper use of medications while you are healing.  Hope you and your doctor(s) can agree on a medication plan that produces the best possible results for you. 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!