Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How long does your IR medication last?

For a while I was on hydrocodone-apap 10/325 and switched to oxycodone-apap 10/325 a few months ago. Both last about 3 hours for me. I can't take an extended release medication because it causes hyperalgesia. So it kind of sucks because I take my medication every 4-6hrs and my ability to use other pain modalities is limited due to other medical conditions, although I use them when possible. I have an incredibly fast metabolism; the doctor and I believe that's what's contributing to the short-life of the medication. How long do your IR (instant release) medications work for you?
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine-Health GM12

I was in the same boat.
    IR lasted around 1-2 hrs
    Er around 3 to 4- 5 if lucky.
    I metabolized anethesia the same way
    I hope you find the answers you are seeking!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    I take norco 5/325. It lasts for 3 hours max. When I take a tramadol with it, it lasts longer- 4-5 hours. The tramadol alone is not very effective for my pain, but has a synergistic effect with the norco. Gives it a boost and lasts longer. But I hate tramadol. Ironically, it gives me a "high" feeling, which the norco does not at all :/

If I eat, the norco starts wearing off within 20 minutes...even if I just took it an hour before. 

I took nucynta IR for a week, and it was also only effective for 2-3 hours (I had terrible side effects from it, as well).
  • advertisement
  • Interesting, Sooverit that's how the soma works for me. Barely does anything on its own but it gives the Norco/Percocet a boost. 

I have been an active member for quite some time now. But thanks William. 

Well, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I mean the situation sucks and I don't want anyone else to be in pain, but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one whose body reacts this way.