Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Question About Nerve Ablation

Hello Everyone,
      I won't give a long post, I need the help of you guys to help me determine if I should proceed with my Cervical Nerve Ablation. I had a   Diagnostic Cervical Facet Joint C4-C7 nerve block this morning  to see if a nerve ablation would work for my pain. It did work however I am concerned if this may make my cause more damage long term. 

All that to say is disabling this signal the best thing to do? I am thinking this would be like a check engine light coming on in my car and just popping the hood and unplugging the sensor that is causing the check engine light.

I may be way off that is why I am asking the question, because I honestly have no idea. Thank you for very much for your time and all of you that may read this and have some insight.  

Ian
advertisement

Comments

• liliollilio Silver Spring, MarylandPosts: 7
    Hi Ian, as far as I understand it, if the nerve block helps then you are a good candidate for the Ablation procedure. If it doesn't  help, it means that those nerve are not the cause of your pain. I don't know what else one can do to relieve those nerves from sending pain signals for a longer period of time than  a few days with a nerve block agent. Have you tried other therapies?   Acupuncture, medications, physical therapy, chiropractic ....none of these relieved my neck  pain and headaches. I had my procedure a week ago on my C2-C3 and I was not sedated at all and it was very painful, has your Dr. said whether they are going to give you an IV or other relaxers before the procedure...have you spoken to the Dr about how much pain you will have after the procedure and how long it will take to recouperate?   I should have asked these questions. I will never have it done with no sedation again. I thought it would be a breeze because the facet joint medial nerve blocks  were not that bad and I was up and about with no problems. But it is not the same at all IMHO....
  • My Ablation helped bring down my overall pain levels to a more manageable level.
    The insistent pain was so much any more.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • mjordenmmjorden IllinoisPosts: 3
    I have had several nerve ablations in my cervical spine ( I have another one next month ). My experience has been very positive. They should not cause more pain long term as the nerves will regenerate. They typically say 6-18 months.  This is the only procedure I have had that has provided me significant longer term relief. I hope this helps you. 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello full_of_fit!
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• mjorden said:

I have had several nerve ablations in my cervical spine ( I have another one next month ). My experience has been very positive. They should not cause more pain long term as the nerves will regenerate. They typically say 6-18 months.  This is the only procedure I have had that has provided me significant longer term relief. I hope this helps you. 

I just had an RFA on 8/31/16 on left side. Pain is no longer there but quite a bit of numbness.  Did you have numbness and how long did it last if you did? I thankfully had sedation and can't imagine not.  Can't wait to have other side done in a couple of weeks.  Not keen on the numbness but I'll take it over the pain! How many RFA's have you had and how long have they lasted? Have the earlier ones lasted longer than the latter ones? 
  • advertisement
advertisement