Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

August 2016 Surgical Buddies

advertisement

Comments

• Yes, the surgeon told me to be off blood thinners.  I had to use Lovenox injections up until the day before surgery instead.  Surgery was yesterday, and all went well.  The leg pain is completely gone.  So relieved.  I actually slept a full 8 hours for the first time in several weeks.  Hopefully I will continue on this path.
  • Whoowee, had my
    surgery on 8/16/16 as planned.  I woke up and had less pain than I had
    with my laminectomy/discectomy three years ago, it was weird.  But they
    hooked me up to a morphine pump and I stayed the full three days.  I did
    not know that they put a drain tube with a bulb in your spine to drain off
    the extra fluid and blood after the procedure to prevent hematomas, but they do
    - mine was emptied four times a day, lots of bleeding in that area.  Let's
    see, the second day I developed an area to the left of my 6 inch incision that
    was 3x4 inches and looked like I had a burn from an iron.  The
    "burn" developed a large yellow blister, has this happened to anyone
    else?  The nurses stated it was an ice burn and a nurse practitioner said
    it was a allergic reaction to the prep they used. I don’t agree with
    either of them – I think it is from the swelling around my surgical area and
    the fact that I could not have a bowel movement for 5 DAYS – I looked 9 onths
    pregnant LOL!   As far as pain goes, oh yeah, it was NOT a fun
    first two days but I was up and walking the second day.  I felt the best with my walker and brace so I
    was up walking all the time since then, even in the middle of the night.  I got NO sleep in the hospital even when they
    gave me valium.  However, I have NO hip
    pain now and my leg is not hurting like it was  - immediately after surgery I felt a
    difference.  Three hours off the pain pump and I went downhill quick just
    with the hydros so they had to add the extended release morphine of 15 mgs
    every 12 hours.  Weird part is I did not use much pump morphine so doc
    figured I would be fine just on the hydros every 4 hours.  I am on 2 hydrocodone 10/325 every 4-6 hours
    and MScontin 1 every 12 hours for now and am on day 8.  Pain has gone from 10 to 6 in last 8 days because
    I refuse to sit or stand in one position for more than 20 minutes and I walk a
    block daily for the last 4 days.  I can’t
    use a lot of ice right now because the blister did go down to smaller blisters
    but my skin tore off with the tagaderm they had me put over it – the ice makes
    it very painful, but I do use it over my incision which is glued shut.  The blister area is about 3 inches wide and 4
    inches long – is healing but is going to be one heck of a scar.  I use my walker outside of the house, always
    careful getting up and down from a sitting position, watch the stairs closely –
    they had me climb and descend stairs the second day – no problem there if you
    do it right.  The only two things that
    get on my nerves is waking up from sleeping and the pain that goes with that
    AND my walker wheels getting caught on a piece of gravel as I hobble down the
    street.  I take my medication
    religiously, watch my temperature four times a day, do minor chores that don’t
    include lifting or cleaning floors, and impatiently wait to get fully better so
    my  mother stops calling every 30 minutes
    LOL!  I will be honest, I thought this
    was the most awful surgery I had after the first day but today I can honestly
    say I would do it again and with a smile on my face because I KNOW my body and
    I am getting better daily – that is what matters!  Fingers crossed and I hope this helps you
    guys……also exlax is my best friend, plus a girl cannot complain about
    chocolate, even if it is exlax….hahahaha!

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello jamieford96 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello john_e_ii !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Lainey1967Lainey1967 Bishopbriggs Posts: 35
    Just had an L4/L5 disectomy went well. Road to recovery begins now. Good luck when your time comes
  • advertisement
  • Lainey1967Lainey1967 Bishopbriggs Posts: 35
    Just one question, what painkilling medicine does everyone take - I on Tramadol following spinal discectomy , not really easing pain any. Please bear in mind I from UK so meds may be different..
  • Had my L4-L5 Laminectomy on the 18th.  So far, so good!  Off pain meds since day 3.  Doctor repeatedly has told me to relax due to the size, so I'm bored.  Relaxing when i feel better for the first time in 5 months in hard.  I do know i need to heal... not my first time in this game, and the first was very hard.
    L5-S1 herniation (10mm), April 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy May 1st 2013

Lumbar Laminectomy April 18th 2016

http://www.sandiegosteve.info/me/lumbar-laminectomy-surgery-recovery/
  • My L4-5 discectomy/laminotomy was done on 08/09/16.  I felt immediate and complete relief of the leg pain upon waking up from surgery.  I took it easy for a few days, and then started walking short distances.  By the end of the week, I was walking a few miles per day, and feeling good.  I am now a little over three weeks out, and walking about 5-6 miles per day.   I have had no complications so far, but I still have some flashes of the sensation I had down my left leg. They just come and go a few times per day and are not painful.  On post-op visit, the doctor says that is normal and I might feel that for a while.  Otherwise, I am very please with my surgery and outcome so far.
  • Hello Guys,

I had a L5-S1 microdiscectomy surgery on August 17th. This being my first surgery, I really didn't know what to expect. Surgery went well and I spent the night in the hospital. I want glad to be there overnight as it was hard for me to get up and down from bed and having people check on me made me feel more confident in the process. It would have hurt a lot to sit in a car right after surgery. I've been off work since then and will go back on September 12. Time off has been great to have since sitting for long periods would not have been good. I've been taking lots of breaks to lie don throughout the day t give the back a break. I took pain meds and muscle relaxers for the first 2 weeks post surgery and today is my first day on Tylenol alone- I feel good! I still get pain in my buttocks and sometimes shooting down my back left leg, but definitely better than it was before surgery. I will update over the next few weeks to let you know how I heal.

I hope all of us can get through this experience together and to get to the pain free life once again! All the best to you.

• helconhhelcon Nova Scotia Posts: 5
    Thanks hollydolly,
    I'm 6 weeks post op and I'm still having pain in my lower back, pressure in my tailbone and pain in my buttocks. I want to start back to work but I'm worried it will make things worse. My surgeon just kinda shrugged the pain off and told me it should go away eventually. My everything is still numb, but I expected that and truthfully don't expect much improvement. It's the pain that concerns me anyone else have pain at 6 weeks? 

advertisement