Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

July 2016 Surgical Buddies

advertisement

Comments

• mommy2-4mmommy2-4 MichiganPosts: 8
    Hi everyone, I am having an ACDF on July 28. 
  • hollydollyhhollydolly Oklahoma Posts: 11
    I'm having that done Tomo on L5-S1..... So glad to see this post! 
  • advertisement
  • helconhhelcon Nova Scotia Posts: 5
    Learn direct, I am due for the same surgery on Aug 3rd. How are you doing? Curious what you were told about recovery time frames? 
  • mlavellemlavelle Teaneck NjPosts: 41
    I had acdf c567 on July 8th. Recuperating and on the mend.
  • Hello.
    I'm having a fusion surgery of L4-S1 on July 18th.
    I'll try to update my post surgery status frequently.
  • advertisement
  • Hello all! I'm recovering from my ACDF C6C7 on July 13. 

I didnt come come home in a collar. My dr doesn't use them.  Is that weird?

As far as pain I have some shoulder pain that just started today.  My throat feels like there is a golf ball in it.  I also have some sternum pain. 

Im still taking my pain medicine and my muscle relaxer but feel like I should be able to go without now.  So many people have told me and my husband that they were back at work the next week.  I don't see how....
  • Hello all. I hope your surgeries went well if you've had them.

Helcon - I'm doing well thanks. They were very vague about timeframes for recovery. It depended who I spoke to!

I'm quite lucky in that I'm a teacher in the uk so we have just broken up for summer holidays. Its two weeks (today!) since the operation and I think I could've gone to work this week if I needed to. They said to allow up to 6 weeks for proper recovery but I should be able to return to work at 2-3 weeks. It probably depends on job. I will have to be v careful lugging exercise and textbooks around and writing on board whilst keeping an eye on the unruly teenagers!

I've been told by surgeons assistant to do nothing until post op 6-8 weeks after operation but I am paying for private physio (as I won't get it on NHS) and he said I can do some light stretches and a bit of swimming, which is good as I'm going mad just walking!

all the best. 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello pawipp !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hello! I'm recovering from a L5-S1 ALIF on July 11, to correct Isthmic Spondylolistesis. I've had two "good days" since the surgery, "good" meaning I had energy enough to walk around the block. I'm struggling with pain med management, and wondering if tapering off meds is even possible right now. I'm hurting! Every day it's something different... hip, back, incision site, etc. I tried to put it into words how I was feeling this morning for my husband. I feel like I've been given a massive king-fu body grip by King Kong and then just dropped on to my bed. I truly thought that at 2 weeks I would be at least 75% back to my normal self. Nope, not even close. Although I guess I have stopped asking my 6-year old if I could have my next pain pill, thankfully that phase has passed. I think I might have asked the dog once too. I was really hoping I would be up and working again at the 3 week mark. I have a horrible feeling this is going to be WEEKS more. Feeling a bit isolated, everyone (including me) just wants things back to normal. 
  • I am at 2 weeks today and really thought I would be farther along too.  I actually called my Drs office yesterday and the nurse asked me why I was not taking me muscle relaxer consistently. I thought I was just supposed to take it when I needed it.  They switched me to a different muscle relaxer and I have been taking it on schedule and slept all day today.  I'm not used to being down so having a hard time not being up and going.  
advertisement