Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

supplements/diet

I know there is no magic bullet to joint pain but I recently been taking many different supplements that are proved to help and sustain joint health like hylauronic acid aswell as changing to bottled water and quitting fast food etc. any one had good results with a particular regiment/supplement? 
advertisement

Comments

• Its funny you mentioned bottled water
    The more and longer i drink bottled, the less my stomach gives me issues.

When i could, i would use a whey protein supplement to buffer the cortisol my nody apparently likes to produce
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Yeah i just supposed it would help because of all the junk food I ate when I was a kid and my parents living on a budget being the main cause.

i remember back in my grinding days i would come out of school dead tired and even depressed but as soon i got my hands on some food preferreably something including alot of meat, and a big bottle of aloe vera i'd jump back enough to hit the gym later on that day. 

I noticed coffee and pre workouts having less effect on me i focused more on just giving my body more fuel instead pushing it with more fake calories/caffine and ensuring I never skipped breakfest.
  • advertisement
  • I would mix Glutamine and creatine into a 2lb jug of whey protein isolate.
    In my work outs, it came in handy to buffer the lactic acid/cortisol in my system so even on the heavy days, it wasnt so bad.
    Also road 70 miles a week on a mt bike..
    Ohh the glory days.
    But
    The residual muscle mass keeps me,from blowing up!
    Funny
    That was the week before my wreck that ihad a 1350 leg press
    150 on bench dips
    900 on calf raises to warm up.
    Etc.
    Thats what saved my neck
    I had a 1k off the pins
    800 for 5 shrugs.
    It was a help and a hindrance
    Doc said
    1.the musculature prevented at impact a more severe outcome.
    2.the muscle is all scar tissued
    Ill take the less damage for 20 please!
    I still drink pickle juice for the cramps i get.
    High protein, low carb diet
    Leafy greens
    And fruit!!!

Your on the right path as you have found some tjings that work for you
    Keep it up!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Wow :) im glad to run into a past lifter like myself. 

I got hit in the neck when I had my back turned when i was about 13 that combination i guess it still saved my neck from somthing more serious. Im still feelin it now but 
    Im yet to see the mri of it since I have so many things going on my doctor can only focus on one thing at s time so Im not entirely sure how bad it is but my x ray isnt too bad just loss of curve.

Hmm thats a very interestIng thing you got goin on there with the protein.
    before things started really getting to me I used to eat a whole roasted chicken a day and it gave me all my protein for the day.   :D

• A whole steak..
    Protein got cheaper.
    The creatine was kind of hard on kidneys occasionally.
    The glutamine was for extra amino
    The whey isolate was the filler..but the creatine was a carrier..flood the muscles with glutamine and h20 storage.

Cortisol the stress hormone..broke down muscle..the nitrogen balance needed for anabolic growth..also worked post work out days using same principal.
    Buffering cortisol..at least for me
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • lauramanllauraman AtlantaPosts: 27
    I've found that krill oil works well for my joint pain as well as glucosamine. The thing about supplements in general is that you need to really make sure you're getting good stuff in. I'm sure there are a lot of people in this forum who have taken krill and glucosamine where it didn't work for them, but they were probably taking bargain-bin garbage. Make sure the manufacture guarantees the quality of the supplement until the date of expiry. 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,771
    Its as good as the product

As was just pointed out, many of the supplements,herbs, etc are not up to speed as some of the high quality items.   But, I would never say those bargain items are garbage

For example, Omega-3.  Lets say for illustration purposes, (not factual)

The daily requirement is 500mg a day.   The big-store brand , which has 250 pills costs $50 but each pill is only 10mg. So, you would need to take  50 pills of that brand a day   At 10 cents per pill that is $5.00 a day

The quality store item has 50 pills but each is 250mg  for $100 So you need 2 pills a day.  At $2 a pill you need to spend only $4.00

So, sometimes, spending a bit more really does save you.   Plus you need to read all the ingredients.  I am far for skilled on knowing which ingredient should be included or not.  But in general, the smaller the amount of ingredients, the more natural the product.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 05/16/2016 - 11:22 AM
    William, I had no idea you were a fitness guy before all this.  That's some serious weights you were lifting.
    I am sure you know that short term cortisol production normal and healthy but long term it's actually tissue destructive , I am trying to find ways of lowering mine also.  My body is stuck in the sympathetic ( fight or flight) mode due to autonomic nervous system damage so all my hormones are a wreck and severely depleted .
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Gently..
    You gave me a, laugh with your comment!
    I...We were many things before the injuries.

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I think i developed my problemss due to not resting sufficiently this was my regiment on top of selling candy

6 day a week
    10 workous a day -
    4 primary muscle 3 secondary muscle
    3 abbs ... I know prob explain the chronic fatigue and inflammation but I gave in to the whole no such thing as overtraing bull you see alot. BUT

3000-4000 calories for recovery
    Machines only/
    10-15 reps range
    sometimes i only did 7 workouts 

Im yet to get my muscle enzyme results back but in nervous i might have some kinda myositis or something 

advertisement