Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Rib/Chest pain after T8 fracture - No Osetoporosis

Hi, All.  I am a male, 45, in normal health who had a fall 8 weeks ago and suffered a compression fracture of the T8 (and a dislocated coccyx, but that's healing on schedule).  I was in a large brace for 6 weeks and the T8 appears to be healing well.  This is all very new to me and my concern is this:  Over the last few days it has become very difficult to find any position on my sides (either one) to lay on without rib pain, and when upright I feel like there's a weight exactly at the front-bottom-center of my ribs; all the new pain is in line with where the T8 is.  It also hurts if I poke in exactly that spot on the front. 

I am assuming this is a normal part of the healing process, and I am discussing it with my PT and will consult my Neuro, too, but does anyone here have experience with such a symptom?  It seems odd that it should come now, so far into the healing processes.  Any input will be appreciated.  Thank you.

(PS: I am new to the site and I hope posting in this section was correct.  I do not have osteoporosis but this is the only category I saw with "Fracture".  More thanks.)

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello uester45 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hello!  I also have a T8 fracture, along with a T11.  I'm only 3 weeks out though so I'm not as far as you but I can tell you that I've had the rib pain since the injury happened.  It's also the majority of the pain I'm in now, when standing or walking or sitting normally, anything that puts pressure on the spine I get major pain around my ribs on both sides in the back and also in the front.  My neuro said this is normal and will go away and I really hope it does.  Not being able to walk, stand or sit without reclining is really difficult :(  I'm off all pain meds but only because I'm afraid of addiction and able to rest.  If I had to be moving there is no way I could do it without the oxycodone they've given me.  I'm not sure why yours would start now though.  DId you have other pain before that has gone away and you're just noticing this pain now making it seem new? I've noticed that with my injury, as one thing starts hurting a little less I notice pain somewhere else.  I hope your pain eases soon! 

• advertisement
  • I have a t12 fracture and in my time awaiting surgery my core muscles especially in front of the unstable fracture were working absolute overtime to keep everything in place. I frequently had full back and core muscle spasms.
    Once I had stabilization surgery the feeling of my muscles having to work very hard was reduced greatly. I still feel as if I need to be constantly activating my core and have issues with muscle spasms (1-2 weeks post op).
    I went to the Dr and was prescribed muscle relaxants which seem to be doing the trick. If my muscles are very overworked I find that a mild pain reliever helps me sleep. I am still taking plenty of anti inflammatories as well. Worth at least a call to your Dr if not an appointment to try to reduce your symptoms. 
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82
    I am new to this supportive and informative forum. I am in my 16th week dealing with my T8 compression fracture. I thought I was a healthy 61year old male who was a gym rat all of my life hitting the weights and cardio. Now with this fracture my life has drastically changed. My first diagnosis was that just a muscle pull, 3 months out got referred to a spine surgeon and was told that the fracture has healed and to proceed with pain management of my aching ribs and back. Gabapentin took my pain level from a 9 to a 3, but 16 weeks out and I still can't sleep on my sides. I slept on the recliner for about 3 months due to not being able to sleep on the bed. My Primary has also put me on codeine for pain. Ofcourse now that it's been this long the doctors have up my meds dosage, not the direction I want to take, but I need to work! I have been told that it's not a life sentence, but at times it's hard to digest since I should be getting better with time. I finally got my referral for PT starting next week, so maybe that will help and not make it worse. Got a Dexa scan last week so I should know the results this week about my bones. Anyways, this is where I am now with all of you and thanks for your input.

Akira/Chuck
    Akira/Chuck
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,745

This is an old discussion created by a member who hasn't been back to the forum since so I am closing it.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.