Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Walking to cure herniated l4l5 disk with sciatic nerve PAIN

advertisement

Comments

• caseybear66Xccaseybear66X Waco TexasPosts: 4
     hi and yes walking does help that. I have horrible lumbar issues and when you first get going in the morning it can really hurt a lot but like you after a while it eases up. 
    What keeps me motivated is our dog I know that sounds laughable but she has to go out and I have to walk her so that's what keeps me going.
    I do sympathize with you though because I know how bad it hurts
    So 4 days out from cervical spine surgery Fusion the worst decision ever I am hating myself for having the surgery.
    I am having numbness on the top of my thigh from where they took the graft from my hip.
     I can't stand not being able to do the things I like to do and being in this sedentary situation especially when everything was fine and well with me until a car accident that created problems more definite in my neck.
    If I would have had all my facts I would have found an alternate route to doing this god-forsaken surgery because I would never recommend it to anybody.
    Maybe it's because my neurologist / neurosurgeon did not completely and for me of all of the side effects and risks that are involved with this phone Fusion so I guess I just wait until my first x-ray to see if the fusion is taking but being a smoker for 31 years the prognosis is probably not real good.
    Another situation where I guess you just have to live and learn however after reading some posts on this forum I can tell you I will not have repeated surgery done after what I read.
    It is scary to say the least!!!!!!
    For those of you wondering if you should get this Fusion done all I can say is there are no guarantees that it will work your neurologist your neurosurgeon can tell you that this is the best option my suggestion find a second opinion
  • advertisement

I know exactly how you feel and my first decision was not to have cervical spine surgery and just to deal with the creaks and Pops that come along with aging and I probably should have listened to my body I own that pain like the gentleman said it was mine I earned it if I had to do it all over again I would have never had the surgery I did worst decision I ever made
  • Hi Casey.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm sorry to hear that your surgery didn't work out.  And I definitely don't want to undergo surgery if I can help it.  That's why I'm hoping that by walking 3 times a day, an hour each time as part of my physical therapy routine, I would be able to avoid having to rolling the dice on a surgery.  It looks like there's a lot more to learn of all the options that are out there in terms of the types of pain management, surgeries, physical therapy, and etc.  But I feel like I have to rush to getting to the bottom of this crippling pain and be able to do my job, pay my bills and live my life.

William and AJ, I will not take your warnings lightly, thank you.  It's looking like I won't be returning to work until this Saturday and I'm going in for my second corticosteroid injection this Wednesday.  Hopefully the second injection will provide some pain relief to where I feel it's at least manageable.  

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello caseybear66X !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    I think finances can drive a person to do things that are not in their best interest, but if its work and support a family or let them suffer its sometimes a no win situation.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Sadly no matter what someone says you never "cure" a herniated disc.  Your body may adjust, it may reabsorb, it may feel better, sciatica may go away, but that disc is not and will never be the same as before it herniated.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  •  Wow, all those hours on the road must wreak havoc on your lower back. Driving is really uncomfortable when you have nerve impingement. Hopefully you'll get some relief from your next ESI. All I can handle is short distances. I have permanent nerve damage in my right leg and recently my left leg hurts just as bad.You might have to change jobs since prolonged sitting puts a lot of pressure on the sciatic nerve. Hopefully the disc herniation while resolve on its own with conservative treatment. Let us know how the walking regime goes for you. Take care
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Hi all.  I just had my second injection this morning.  So far I do not feel any significant improvements but we'll see.  I'm scheduled to have a visit with our company doctor tomorrow to get assessed on whether I'm fit for duty.  (a little nervous about that)  I haven't taken any opiate pain killers for a few days now and even before I've been real conservative about taking those.  
    Driving hurts the most, more than sitting in a office chair like I'm doing right now.  I have the coccyx car seat cushion and a back support belt along with a ton of advil and tylenol to accompany me if I'm allowed to return to work.  If the second injection doesn't do the trick, I guess I'll just have to bite my lips, grind my teeth and deal with it and start thinking about reinventing myself to a different line of work.  I will NOT push myself to get all that overtime like before; I can do just fine with minimal hours as I live very modestly.  
    Regrettably, I understand that there's no permanent "cure" to our conditions.  I'm just hoping that by exhausting the right options that are out there, the pain would become unnoticeable or somewhat subsided even if I have to religiously exercise, stretch, massage and walk. 
advertisement