Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What Pets can do for you

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
Over the years the subject of pets have come up.

I think in the past, many people did not fully understand the impact and value in having a pet can really mean.

Things have been changing.  There are so may pets, dogs that are involved in health care in one way or another.   Their value has been seen.

i've bee a dog lover.  My last dog, an English Cocker was a mischievous girl.  But one thing for sure, she knew when I was not doing well.  On days that I had flare ups, she would not leave my side.  Sitting on the couch, or walking right next to me.   Then when I was feeling better, so was doing what she wanted to.

No one has to instruct a pet to do that, there is an instinct that many times I can not totally understand, but its there
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    You are so right!
    One of my friend's dog is like that to me. If I'm visiting and it is not one of the better days, I don't have to moan or say a word, their dog doesn't leave my side, and when I go to kitchen, he will follow me and jump back on recliner when I go back to my seat.

Even to the degree that he doesn't greet my friends at the door when they come home from work, as he usually does.
    My friends and I don't even need to talk about my level of pain.
    They see it in their dogs eyes.  :)

My oldest son had been a receipient of kidney transplant....twice.
    First one when he was five years old.
    He had difficulty accepting the chronicness (I don't think that's a word)...of his situation.
    He would think he didn't need his meds as he felt fine without them... very sad and hard to watch.
    He had depression and anxiety.

My son lived in an apartment that didn't allow pets. But his doctor wrote out a prescription for therapy pet and the complex accepted that.
    My son chose to have a cat! A big, active, could  fly across the room, cat!

He was so involved with that cat! ....talking  to it..teaching it tricks...  :)
    It was amazing and almost immediate change for improvement in my son's spirits!

Unfortunately, even the cat could not get him to take his meds as prescribed, heck...didn't take the meds  at all.
    My son died three years ago at the age of 34.
    Fortunately, he had a happy go lucky way about him....had many friends...was involved in many aspects of life...and he did life his own way.

His ex wife took over the care of that loving cat. And he continues to be joy to her!  :)
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History