It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I have a long history of neck issues because of severe whiplash injury 38 years ago. I didn't get my first fusion until nine years ago, so the statute of limitations long ran out against the guy that rear ended me. I never fully recovered after my second fusion two years ago and now the neurosurgeon that performed my last fusion thinks that I have an additional two level disc failure that is NOT fully explained by recent tests, including an MRI. He ordered a two level cervical discogram that the insurance company refuses to approve. They claim that cervical discograms are "experimental". After it was denied in March, I asked the neurosurgeon and insurance company case manager if I should go ahead and pay it myself, even though I don't have the $3,000 or so money to throw around. I got a resounding NO from both the neurosurgeon and case manager who both clamed that if I got positive results from a self paid test that showed that I needed surgery, the insurance company promised to fight me on any surgery costs.
The other day, I got notice that the insurance company denied my neurosurgeon's appeal. I'm still waiting for the official reasons. I am scheduled to "discuss options" with the neurosurgeon in four weeks. I rather stuck with this neurosurgeon, since he is the only one that has been willing to take on my case. Has anyone ever had an insurance company pay for a cervical discogram?