Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spasticity

I am 2 months post ACDF for severe cervical spinal stenosis with myelopathy, and had/have spasticity. I had spasticity prior to surgery, but it wasn't as bad as it is not. Many more muscle spasms, twitches, and tight stiff muscles which make it difficult to walk. While I do not have to use a walker, I am using a walking still to help me get around. Based on my research, spasticity comes from conditions such as MS, spinal cord injuries, and traumatic brain injuries. I am trying to get a better idea of where my spinal cord injury was, however, I believe it was at C6-C7 due to severe compression and possible swelling in my spinal cord. 

The majority of my spasticity is on the left side of my body, and of that, it is focused primarily from the waist down to my foot. 

Currently, I'm on 15 mg a day of Baclofen, and have been for three weeks now. It is working, however, it tends to make me tired or lethargic during the day. I am in PT two times a week to help with gait adjustment and spasticity treatment. 
  1. What have you found helpful in managing your spasticity besides medication?  
  2. For those of you that have spasticity, how bad does it get? 
  3. Will I eventually end up paralyzed?
Thank you,
Daniel
advertisement

Comments

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 05/29/2016 - 4:58 PM
    I had an SCI and if you had cord compression so did you to an extent.  I also take baclofen, shown to be best muscle relaxer for SCI .  My spacisity decreased over time a lot, anti anxiety medication had also helped it along with rehab
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Mine was believed to be at that level also and swelling from injury caused it
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • austinguyaaustinguy Austin, TxPosts: 9
    Great info, I figured as much. I had C5-7 taken out, and thinking about it now, I think the worst of the compression was at C5-6. That may just be academic now. I remember my neurosurgeon saying there was a small white spot on my cervical MRI. He couldn't be sure whether it was swelling or scar tissue. 

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Art1947AArt1947 Holywell, UKPosts: 106
    Hi, I am 6 months post an emergency laminectomy at C5 and C6, I have spasticity in my lower legs and feet, I take no medication specifically for spasticity, I am walking with a stick and without a stick about 400/ 800 yards a day. I don't see why you should end up paralyzed. Do you do stretching exercises? Regards, Art1947 
  • austinguyaaustinguy Austin, TxPosts: 9
    The spasticity is worst at my hip/glut region, and while I am in PT doing strength and strength exercises, it is effecting my ability to walk. Baclofen was help calm the symptoms, but only to a point. I have a Chiari 1 malformation, and I recently found out that spasticity was a symptom of Chiari w/ Syringomyelia.  So bottom line is I have some underlying conditions that are causing the spasticity, and I've got to find doctors who actually know what Chiari, POTS, Tethered cord syndrome and other conditions are. 

From om what I understand, spasticity can vary in intensity, so I am not surprised your spasticity is different from mine. 
  • advertisement
    Thanks, is it reversible, spasticity I mean. Regards, Art1947
    I visited a neuro surgeon to-day and he has prescribed Baclofen for the spasticity in my lower limbs.
advertisement