Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Can't believe I'm here

Hi everyone. It's hard to believe I find myself in this position. This time last year I had just completed a marathon and was training for a triathlon that I ended up completing in third place! It's probably those things that landed me in surgery to fix a herniated disc that was pressing on my sciatic nerve.

the surgery was a success and I've been free of nerve pain. I did 2 months of physical therapy and was cleared to go back to my physical activity, allthough I was warned to take it easy. I don't know how to take it easy when it comes to my training. I went at it hard. I was bedridden for 2 days after with what felt like a sprained back. I chocked it up to the pull-ups I did and figured it would he all. That was 3 weeks ago. I have not returned to training. My back is stiff and sore. I can't sit for to long. I can't stand for to long. I'm starting to think I really damagesd something. 

Any advice from people who have had a micro discectomy ? 
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Smiddy  So sorry to hear you have had problems following such success after surgery.

I had problems after about 4 months after my first one.  I was told my disc could re-herniate up to 3 months and would be very vunerable.  I had strict instructions post surgery which included no BLT .. bending, lifting or twisitng.  I was not allowed to sit, just perch for meals and bathroom trips for 6 weeks.  I was also told no heavy lifting for at least a year.

Your sitting and standing doesn't sound brilliant but is it trapped nerve feeling or just soreness?

I am guessing you have contacted your medical team for advice?  I hope they are able to confirm what the problem is and hoping it is just a huge warning to you to reduce your exercise to 'take it easy mode'

AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello smiddy !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello....
    Have you spoken to your doctor about your  situation? And I for one would be curious to hear what their advice is for you.
    When someone says, "take it easy"....you are right. That can mean so many different things to different people.

As you and your doctors  try to discover what is your current situation, please have very clear communication and with any doubt, feel free to ask questions.
    I would ask specifics of what I can and cannot do....and I may ask again if felt need to double check, just to be sure we are on same page.

Doctor should never be in too big a hurry for communication ...as he wants you to have best health possible and he also wants his good surgical work to be optimum, to remain most effective for you and long term.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History