Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Courage to Change the Things I Can

So, as much as I didn't want to have to go this route, I took the steps to apply for disability today.  I cannot be sure of the outcome of my next procedure(s), and my body cannot handle the type of work I was accustomed to doing for the last 25 years.  The bright side is, I'm still plugging away at my graduate degree, so I don't plan on relying on government assistance forever.  It's come to the point where I have to accept that I'm disabled physically and financially.  I'm hoping that I get approved so that at least something will be coming in on my end money-wise until I have my degree. 
It's one of those things that's a tough pill to swallow for me.  I'm a worker bee, an extrovert, a DO-ER.  But I also have to have the guts to admit defeat when necessary, and I am waving the white flag right now in regards to doing what's best for myself and my living situation.
Wish me luck, please.  I could sure use it.     
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,304
    Kimmy,

There are times when you have to do whats best for your well being.  In the short time I have gotten to know you, I realize you that you are an energetic person, a can-do-anything, very positive and compassionate person.    I am so glad that I have gotten to know you.

I wish that your next steps into your journey go smoothly.   
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Like I just said today on another post , disability is there for you if you need it, if you can get off it great.  For so many of us it was a crutch to allow us to retrain to do a more reasonable job without losing everything while trying after our injury or job became impossible to do.
    No person in their right mind would choose to go on disability if it wasn't a last resort because it's not an easy road ( I leave people scamming the system out of my comments, this is meant towards people that really need it).
    Use it as your bridge to something better and don't believe the saying that once you are on it you stay on it, I choose to get off LTD where I was making plenty enough to live on to go back and work once retrained.  Good luck 
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • Thank you both SO much!   That's exactly how I am looking at receiving disability--as a necessary stepping stone, not a permanent fix.
    I appreciate your kind words... 
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Kimmy, 

If you worked for 25 years, it's not government assistance. It's insurance you paid for. Even if it's SSI (needs based/not enough credits), there is no shame in accepting it. This is what it is there for. Throughout the course of your working life, you paid into it- for exactly this reason.

I was a disability advocate in the past, which included helping my clients (most of whom were chronic pain patients) apply for ssi/ssdi. If I  can answer any questions or help, please let me know. 

Sara :)
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 645
    edited 06/03/2016 - 11:54 PM
    I had to do the same Kimmy. Once it was apparent that I would no longer be able to go back to working my job, I applied for disability retirement. My GP advised me to put in for SSD at that time, cause it takes months for the process.

Once I made the decision to do so, a weight was lifted...I knew what I needed to do to get to a place that would be best for my health. Not one I had planned on, but I knew things would work out one way or another.

My LTD work insurance hires a liaison to transition the work disabled. Even if only temporary, but you have to be disabled for at least a year, taking into account the time you're waiting for your claim to be approved, because if you're approved you are awarded that back pay. 

In my case though, I was awarded SSD, but that back pay had to be given back to my LTD health insurance through where I had been working and receiving their wage benefits. I don't know how long I will need to draw from SSD though.

I was hoping I would have shown some hint of progress in my recovery thus far, but they still consider me unable to work for gainful employment. If they could just figure out what the problem is....maybe someday I'll be able to find something I can do.

I wouldn't mind furthering my education, but I still owe sorely for the Associates in Business I received back in 2009. I'd never be able to budget the added expense of continuing on now. I do love to learn, but sitting, laying, and walking are still painful things to do. And I would want to give it my all, and I doubt at this moment if I could.

But I can see you doing so....What degree are you working on? 

I still have some of my class work papers, some are a hoot to read, and some amaze me more now...proof of putting ones brain in motion, and the rewards of perseverance. Though I think my brain hasn't fully recovered from the algebra classes!!

Hoping you much happiness in your studies!

• advertisement
  • Best of luck Kimmy!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Again, I have the utmost gratitude to ALL of you for your concerns and offers of help!!  I have been looking for something I can do in the psychology field but keep running into the same barrier of lack of experience!  Even the part-time positions want at least a year of experience. 
    The entry-level jobs in the field I am qualified to do all have a physical component to them that I am not able to do (lift 50 lbs or more, be able to utilize restraining techniques).  I've even reworked my resume to try to correlate my years in the hospitality business to demonstrate how those skills are transferable to working with individuals with mental health issues in an effort to get around the whole "experience" conundrum, but have never heard back from any of places to which I've applied.  I have definitely tried to do all I can NOT to be unemployed!!  I have resigned myself to the idea that once I complete my internship for my degree, at least I can call that experience. 
    What a catch-22.  You need experience in this field, but how do you get it when no one will hire you without it?  I'll catch my darn tail one of these days...hahaha!! 
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Good luck to you, Kimmy!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Keep fighting Kimmy!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Thank you, Savage and William.  I'm definitely not giving up!
    Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement