Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lower back pain, buttock pain when sitting, sharp pains in hips... HELP!

To cut a very long story short, I have pain in my lower back, right side - ? QL muscle which is worse when sitting. (I do a sit down job but like to run and weight train)

I also get sharp stabbing pains in my hip that just appear from nowhere, like a flash. I can be walking down the road and BOOM it hits me and it's gone but I nearly crumple to a heap in agony. This happens now and again but the ache in my lower back is ALWAYS there, worse when sitting. When I do sit it feels likeI'm sat on a rock hard surface, but only on my right side and then pain goes up into my lower back (right side). I find sensitive areas in my lower back and when in pain, if I press them with fingers or most recently a therecane the pain in my back goes for a while but then comes back.

The pain originally started in my groin/testicles and worked it's way to my lower back. I think I may have done this by bad form when weight training... 4 years of MRI, X-RAY, NCT and hopeless physio later and I'm still in the same position.

I do have very tight hamstrings which I'm starting to stretch so maybe that could be a cause ?

I go back to my consultant next month and I think my last physio is suggesting painkilling injections.

I just don't know what to do :(

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Dean. I never had hip pain. But I had occassional back pain last year which climaxed on New Years day and lasted for a week. I also have tight hamstrings. Since then I have been regularly doing lower back stretches as well as ham string stretching and my back pain seems all but gone for the past 5 months. Except one instance for a few days of a minor type of tightness or strain. I obviously dont have the same things are you but I have found the stretching helpful. And by the way I have found the "cat and cow" stretch to be amazing. It was one of the first stretches I started even when my back was very sore. And my god it felt SO soothing to do.. Now it just feels kind of nice but when my back was sore it felt awesomely soothing. Feels like a nice gentle stretch
  • Thanks I will try this. I'll have a look for some lower back/hams stretches!
  • advertisement
  • Tried them and now my back hurts even more
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi Dean, you really shouldn't do anything unless cleared by your doctor's. I have sciatica and my husband asked the pt at his job about doing exercises and stretches. They wouldn't recommend anything because it could make my condition worse. Can you call your doctor and get a mild pain killer like tramadol for now?
  • advertisement
  • bugger. Sorry to hear things got worse. Yes maybe see a doctor. 
  • SooveritSooverit Finger Lakes region of NYPosts: 460
    Could be any number of things. Sounds similar to some of the pain I have, which has been diagnosed as sacroiliac joint disease/dysfunction.

I would go see a doctor asap. In the meantime, you might be interested in looking at a dermatomes map. At least it can help you to see if your pain follows any of those paths.

Hope you feel better soon :)
  • Thanks both. I'm. Under a consultant and I've been referred for possible SI problem. Is this fixable if it is found to be SI ?  Stretching etc seems to set it off, since I stopped stretching, which I have been doing for the last few days it's calmed down a lot although it's still there. Pain score 3/10.
  • The jolting, 'like a flash', stop-you-dead-in-your-tracks type of pain sounds a little like nerve impingement. I have that from a L5S1 disc herniation caused from a bike accident a year ago. Crazy jolts of pain that are like nothing else, although mine go across the lower back/top of the buttocks rather than in the hip.

Mine gets worse if I over exert, walk for too long or do the wrong type of exercises so be careful with doing the DIY physical therapy as you may do more harm than good, particularly as nerve pain has a kinda memory that is hard to erase.
    ______
    Bike accident (April 2015)
    Various ineffective conservative treatments - acupuncture, soft tissue massage, dry needling, Gabepentin (2015)
    Facet joint injections (March 2016)
    Pregabelin (April 2016)
    Spinal Nerve Root Block injections (June 2016)

• The jolting, 'like a flash', stop-you-dead-in-your-tracks type of pain sounds a little like nerve impingement. I have that from a L5S1 disc herniation caused from a bike accident a year ago. Crazy jolts of pain that are like nothing else, although mine go across the lower back/top of the buttocks rather than in the hip.

Mine gets worse if I over exert, walk for too long or do the wrong type of exercises so be careful with doing the DIY physical therapy as you may do more harm than good, particularly as nerve pain has a kinda memory that is hard to erase.

Thanks for the reply. They thought it might be that but after an MRI they discounted it. Funny that I haven't stretched my lower back for 24 hours now and although it's still there it's nowhere as bad as it has been the last few days. I remember physio making it worse also and as soon as I stopped the pain just changed to a tight pull. It really doesn't like being played with whereas the buttock and I think it's the periformis reacts well to being stretched when it hurts but then after a short while the dull annoyance is back. I imagine it being stretched and relieved and then it tightening up. This things is driving me crazy.
advertisement