Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

popping/clicking sound

Hi,

I'll give a quick description of my situation and try to be brief:

In december 2014 having never suffered from back problems I 'pulled' my back at work (physical job), to which A&E said it was just a pulled ligament and to do the usual standard treatments such as rest and NSAID medication etc...

After a week off work I returned and felt absolutely fine. However, three months later in late March 2015, I developed a gradual onset of lower back aches/pain that was bad but didnt require me to be off work with. I have now had this pain with some good days/weeks and some awful for around 1 year and 3 months from that onset in March 2015.

6 months into my situation I was given physio which really helped, but as seems to be the usual story with many others I eventually developed sciatica. I was then given an mri scan which showed nothing terrible, just that I had a very minor disk bulge at L5/S1 with minor degeneration.

Before I ask my question I will give some info that may help responses. I am 25 years old, I manage my chronic pain with a strict stretching routine (cobra stretches etc) and NSAID'S when I need them, cardio exercise twice a week with regular walks, and just generally trying to remain positive and lift correctly at work and not doing anything stupid (after a year and 3 months I know what seems to make it worse)...

On to my real  question/concern: I know this pain may be something I will have to deal with for quite a long time and have learned to accept this, but there is one thing that I feel concerned about which is this weird popping sound in my hip/buttocks area and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this along with back pain. The popping sound ONLY occurs when I have a bad period of back pain and happens while i walk - it is in just one side (left). So my question is, does anyone know if my back pain could be related to this popping sound in my hip area, as it only occurs when I are actually have back pain? I have mentioned it to 3 doctors over the course of my back issues, and they have all literally dismissed it as nothing. but surely it has to be related to something as it only happens when I have the pain! 

New to the forums, so hope I haven't missed much info out etc. Any experiences and comments greatly appreciated. Just a note I have been sciatica pain free for about 2 months now.

Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    That is odd. I'm afraid I have no suggestions. Many on this site will tell you to listen to your body and keep pushing for answers. Glad you have been pain free! 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello 945125 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello....
    You may want  to use the search on this site, ... What happens when I pop my back?
    The article is short, and interesting.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi thanks for responses. Will keep pushing and pushing for answers :)

I do have a slight insight and update for anyone interested. I had a doctors appointment today and mentioned the popping sounds etc to him as he was a new doctor  (I like to get different gp's opinions...)

he has offered the suggestion that when I get the pain in my back something such as a muscle or ligament in my lower area of the back and or hips could be going into spasm and therefore tighter which in turn could be creating a snapping sound somewhere around there...
     but didnt offer a sokution (if there even is one) and wasn't definitive so still querying the whole thing so please if anyone has any insights it's much appreciated!

Thanks again

advertisement