Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Glute Medius and Pyriformis Constant Ache

hello!  New to this - I've been hurt since January of this year diagnosed with bulging l4/l5/s1, stenosis, osteoarthritis and gluteal tendinopathy.  I am 32 and very active (my injury straw that broke the camels back (no pun intended) was an assisted forward bend in Pilates).  I've  been through pt, chiropractor, yoga, acupuncture, massage, orthopedic surgeon, physiatrist (still seeing, great guy) anti inflammatory diet, oral steroids, esi (scheduled for #2 in ten days) was taking Percocet and tizanidine during the acute phase but am currently only taking meloxicam (15mg/day) with some natural stuff (omegas, magnesium, turmeric, ginger,  etc).

anyhoo!  I have glute medius pain and pyriformis pain (like a constant never ending non stop deep ache) that just won't give up despite all the stretching and icing and heating in the world, and wanted to ask if anyone had any good advice for getting these muscles to chill the heck out?  My physiatrist says he's certain it's from the nerves so once those calm down the muscles will calm down, and I trust him, but in the meantime any suggestions from those of you who have been dealing with this longer than I have would be much much appreciated.  I'm open to anything, I'll try walking around the neighborhood with my finger on the top of my head and my tongue out if it will get this freaking ache to chill out!!!

nice to meet you all 

K

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello kbbk !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 431
    what works for me is water-exercise and walking.  It gives my muscles something to do instead of spasm.  I have a prescription for baclofen muscle relaxant for when I just need a break sometimes, but don't like to be on it for too long at a time.  The physiotherapist I go to defines himself rather as an osteopathic therapist, treating with gentle stretching, massage, nerve pressure and chiropractic manipulation as needed.  It is not a cure, but management of the symptoms.  I go to an aquacise class 3X weekly and when I first went it was the only 3 hours of my week where I didn't have excruciating pain.  Being weightless in the water was such a relief.  I hope you find something that works for you
  • advertisement