Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Bone Growth Stimulator

The user and all related content has been deleted.
advertisement

Comments

• normajeannnormajean san antonio,txPosts: 4
    I had surgery 6-2-2016 on 7 levels posterior cervical. had to deny the stimulator. if it didn't fuse the first two times, what makes them think it will fuse now at such a bigger scale?
  • I'm in the same boat. I had ACDF 2011 with a non Union. Neuro did not believe in wearing a brace and never recommended BGS. I have had many injections and RF's over the years and now I have 2 screws "backing" out. I was rear ended a few months ago and can't help but think that made the screws loose but my new doc thinks it's more likely due to scar tissue!?!! Anyway, after almost FIVE years since my surgery, my new doc is recommending BGS. Insurance will not pay and they started at $3K but came off the price like a used car salesman to $1200. It's a lot of money considering I spend a fortune on procedures/copays/meds over the years ( I have lumbar issues as well) but my doc thinks it's worth a try because the only other option is surfer AGAIN. I'm scared I won't fuse again totally and I think.more levels wioild be involved this time. The jury is out on the BGS I think. It's a total gamble that may or may not work from what I have read and people I have spoke with. I would love to hear from anyone that has had an my experience with this as well! Good luck to you!
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

I just finished wearing a BGS for a little over 3 months.  I didn't start until 3 months post surgery.

X-rays show that I have fused.  But of course there is no way to say that the BGS was the key to my success.

The studies that I looked at said that it is best to start immediately after surgery.  But I wasn't going to let that prevent me from using it - and I did use it every day for 4 hours a day.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thanks for  your story Bruce. I'm giving the collar a try. In the long run, I will know that I tried everything  before another possibly surgery!! The doc said the pain may get worse before it gets better because, " it will be kicking the dirt" so to speak. 4 months for 2-4 hours per day......could be worse!!
    Hollywould

Yea, I figured  better try it than not.   Good Luck!

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Hi I am also using the bone growth stimulator. I didnt start using mine until 6 weeks after surgery. I use it everyday, I am now 3 months out and no sight of a fusion occurring. My NS says its still to early to see anything. Would really like to know how your doing.
    Cherokee41

So, if I do the math, you have only been wearing the BGS for about 6 weeks.  I think that 3-4 months would be the norm for wearing one, so yes a little early.

I did have success after wearing it for 3 months, but really no way of knowing if the BGS is responsible for the success...

Good luck, please update us after your next visit.

Bruce

• Bruce, yes your math is correct. I will definitely let you know what the xray says on my next visit. I am really anxious to find out myself. So happy to know you had success. I do have a question for you what type of exercise do you do and how long everday ect?
    Cherokee41

I have to tell the truth, not much this time, mainly stretching and walking.

Last time, I did a lot more, but because I had another disc fail (possibly pre surgery) I was always in pain, but kept plodding through.

Bruce

• I had a cervical laminectomy with fusion done on june 3. The only fused 2 levels as i had 2 levels fused through the front and discs removed 11 years ago. I am in week 6 switching hard and soft collars, my neck feels weird in the back and I get tired fast. My right arm could almost not functon before the surgery (c4-5) but is improving. I had pain in my left shoulder and that has subsided. I just got my bone stimulater but used it 11 years ago after my second acdf. I aletermate hard and soft collars throughout the day and where the bone stimulator 4 hours a day faithfully.
advertisement