Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Cervical Disc Replacement with Prodisc C

Hi. I am a 29 year old female who has been suffering with neck pain for 5+ years. I am scheduled for disk arthroplasty this coming Thursday for C5-C6 herniation. I am a candidate for artificial disc replacement, so this is the route my surgeon would like to go. The disc will be Prodisc-C. Has anyone had a similar surgery performed with this type of artificial disc, or any others? 
Would like to hear others stories, good and bad, along with more of what I can expect post-op. Thanks in advance! 
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    hello hbutler87 !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi, I am 5 weeks post op. 2 cervical disc replacements (c4-c5 and c5-c6) and one level fusion (c6-c7) I am 37 years old with 2 small kids. Go for it. Recovery is challenging believe me. I have a desk job, doc said I should be out for 2 weeks but it is 5 weeks and I am still working remotely... I still get exhausted easily. The first 2 weeks I slept a lot and in a recliner, I still don't sleep well, although I am back sleeping in a bed. Symptoms do not go away right away. Prior to surgery, my right arm and hand was a mess, tingling, loss of fine motor skills weirdly post op, my left arm felt more nerve damage just due to swelling.  You won't be hungry, but will need to eat soft foods so make sure you have lots of soft foods stocked up. Also, cold Popsicles felt great. Will you have someone to help you post op?  You just can't rush your recovery. You have to be patient and kind to yourself. Really. Don't push yourself as that will cause a set back. I used to get terrible migraines for years. They did get worse after, about 2.5 weeks post op because my muscles still thought they needed to protect my discs so along with my therapist, we have to retrain those darn muscles that caused many long days and nights spent in the bathroom. Hang in there and please let me know if you have more questions. Happy to help.
  • advertisement
  • beeveesbbeevees Posts: 13
    edited 07/13/2016 - 2:23 PM
    Hello,

Hope your surgery went well. I am also a 29 year old female who have had a chronic stiff neck/neck pain (along with upper back muscle spasm) for the past 2 years. The doctors told me I have a huge herniated disc at C5-C6. Over the past 2 years I've learned to live with the stiffness in my neck and make lifestyle adjustments, although I would love to be completely pain free.

I've been contemplating surgery for the past year and finally decided to have it scheduled for next month (I'm going to be getting an artificial disc). I'm curious how your surgery went? Wishing you a speedy recovery.

B
  • @itsautonomic - That's for the input. I've spent a lot of time on the online forums today. The more I'm reading, the more I'm considering backing out of my surgery. The pain I have right now is manageable - with a lot of lifestyle adjustments from my end. But I'm wondering perhaps it's better to live with this pain rather than sign up for a surgery and end up with unforeseen consequences... it's a tough decision.
  • beeveesbbeevees Posts: 13
    edited 07/14/2016 - 6:22 AM
    @itsautonomic - Thank you! I will try to find an ADR forum. I hadn't thought of that :)
  • advertisement
advertisement