Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Learned One of My Limitations Today

I'm still not ready for long drives--long being defined as over 20 minutes.  Man, I'll tell you, the site where I had the lysis is a wee bit fired up after a total of forty minutes of driving. 

I had to go to a doctor's appointment, so driving myself couldn't be avoided today.  Since I got out of the car, I've noticed a progressive spasms/tightening of my low back muscles, with a few of the electric shocks down the legs, too.  It would appear that sitting is still the major hurdle for me at this point.  I know I am blessed it is only that...walking is ok, and I can stand for longer periods, I can do light stretches.  The ol' tailbone still isn't ready for that kind of prolonged pressure.  In the grand scheme of things, I don't think sitting for long periods would be good regardless of pain level, as exercise is a key element in helping to keep my newly-released nerve roots free.

Just more sore tonight :/ , but wishing you all a low-pain kind of evening!! 
Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 639
    Hopefully sitting will become more tolerable for you as time goes by. I keep hoping that for myself too!

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Kimmy

I keep saying that our friends actually want to help, and I cannot even imagine that you don't have good friends.  I suspect riding in a car is easier than driving.  While riding you can shift around more.  At least it is better for my shoulder :)

I hope you have a good night and better tomorrow!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Kimmy!
    Bummer on the pain!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hi Kimmy - I can totally relate! I drove a couple weeks ago on the freeway, and realized I can't do that right now. It is way too tough to merge and look over my shoulder.  I hope your pain improves!
  • I keep saying that our friends actually want to help, and I cannot even imagine that you don't have good friends. 

Awww...Bruce!!  Thank you...what a lovely thing to say!!  I AM lucky that I have really great friends who would be more than happy to cart me around, but that old "feeling good" mischievous little imp took over my brain yesterday, so that one's on me...

Sheri76 said:

Hopefully sitting will become more tolerable for you as time goes by. I keep hoping that for myself too!

I hope that for you, too, Sheri. 

William and Duckgirl--Thank you.  Naturally, my mind went down that dark path of thinking my "lysis success story" was short-lived (only temporarily, though!!).  I'm feeling better today. After my appointment yesterday, my husband and I used up the remainder of a gift card we had to go out to lunch, then I basically took it easy for the rest of the day.  It's like Ron spoke about the concept of "deposits" and "withdrawals".  I feel like I got my "account" out of the red yesterday by taking the rest of the day off.  It's checks and balances, isn't it, fellow "spineys"?
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,807
    Its funny, we have to learn the hard way.  Two weeks ago, we went out to dinner with close friends.   45 minute drive up to the restaurant, 1 hour in the restaurant and my legs started to scream.   Then 45 minutes drive back home.  I was miserable that night and most of the next day

Seemingly simple things, a drive, and it can cause a  lot of hurt.   To most, its just a nice drive, to many of us, its can be a little tortue

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I know!!!  My mother lives 5 hours away, and other family members who live near her have made snide remarks in the past about my lack of visits.  Sometimes people don't realize that it's inertia--not exertion--that causes the most pain!  Sometimes we chronic pain people exist in a realm full of contradictions which others have a hard time grasping, don't we?
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    edited 06/25/2016 - 12:38 AM
    Kimmy
    After not being able to sit and enjoy a meal for months, I texted my entire family and said "guess what? I AM SITTING ON MY ASS ENJOYING DINNER!"

They get it! They really do!
advertisement