Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Thoracic Kypotic Surgery (residual lumbar pain)

cjm1991ccjm1991 Posts: 2
edited 06/25/2016 - 1:01 AM in Surgery Buddies
Hi everyone!

Two months ago I received treatment for my scheuermanns kyposis (thoracic Kypotic defomity) my curve measure 70 degrees and I had been having upper and lower back pain for years (as long as I can remember). I am only 24 years old. I have been fused from T1 to T11 (or possibly T12). I can't recall - but it was the majority of my thoracic spine region. 

My main reason for creating this post was to ask of everyone else's experiences. After your fusion surgery for kyphosis have you had continuing lower lumbar pain? My lower back basically curves OUTWARD instead of inward as its suppose to do. I've gotten a lumbar pillow to make my lumbar spine curve in as its designed to do so that I won't be slouching from my lumbar region. Basically when I sit down my pelvis tilts forward and I must make it tilt backward (thereby pressing my butt area outward - and sticking it out - in order to make my lumbar exhibit the inward curve it needs). This motion and pelvic tilt causes my lumbar region to tense up and if I straighten my lower back muscles in the process this corrects my postural issue. My question is - would this be basically more likely to be a muscle weakness issue rather then a mechanical one? It seems to be postural muscle weakness rather then the mechanical kyposis issue I had with my thoracic spine. Even though my lumbar curves outward (instead of inward) like kyposis does - I still believe this is related to the muscle weakness brought on by years of using my thoracic curvature and never using my lumbar area much. The thoracic issues possibly aggravated the lumbar caused weak muscles. I also have tight hamstrings. I do have pain when I forcefully correct my lumbar posture with a lumbar pillow - whenever I move the pillow and slouch at the area - and when I move from the position the pain lessons and goes away. As for my thoracic surgery it went perfectly and I have no residual pain from that - I am 100% satisfied with that posture - however the lumbar posture has much to be desired. I hope it's just muscle weakness - I didn't notice these issues with my lumbar spine until after surgery. Please comment with suggestions. I am also in PT as well to resolve these lumbar issues and to strengthen my muscles. Also what is this condition called where the lumbar spine curves outward excessively and causes an abnormal curvature and increasing pelvic tilt?

Thanks guys!

advertisement